Should I worry????

gardenapprenticeOctober 25, 2013

As you can see below that's my hydrangea, it's a Moorhead and still growing I don't add any fertilizer and it still is growing everyday our temps are 65+ and 30+ at night still no defoliation so that's good but why won't it go into dormancy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luis_pr

I have not gotten really cold temps yet but mine look like yours (just bigger). Maybe a little darker leaves. I would not worry. Some times the cold weather does not stay cold enough and long enough & the sunlight is just so. As a result, they take a while to go dormant. On an average year, mine will go dormant some time in late November or December. Temps well below freezing will start the process for sure as the leaves will turn to "slush" :o(

This post was edited by luis_pr on Fri, Oct 25, 13 at 20:00

Bookmark   October 25, 2013 at 7:59PM
hokierustywilliamsbu

may get a frost tonight-my twist and shout has 4 new blooms-oh well winter must come...

Bookmark   October 25, 2013 at 9:19PM
hokierustywilliamsbu

no freeze so the impaients,hydrangeas amd hibiscus get to go on blooming!!

Bookmark   October 26, 2013 at 12:09PM
luis_pr

You reminded me of some new shrubbery that was recently added in front of a Starbucks by the landscaper who takes care of the shopping strip. Brand new hibiscus plants were added about 2 weeks ago or so. While hydrangeas go dormant here by late November or early December, I wondered about these non-hardy hibiscus! Poor things! Every time that I go to thestore, I start worrying about them. Oh well. As you said, winter must come.

Bookmark   October 26, 2013 at 1:41PM
More Discussions
Hydrangeas in wet soil
I have an empty area beside our air conditioning unit...
ryank817
Need help with hydrangea companions
Hello. I am putting in a new bed this Spring. It is...
suz9601
galls in dirt where to plant
Hi, Last summer I dug up a rose that had not been doing...
Brooks23
Hydrangea has never bloomed
Hi everyone, I purchased three Forever and Ever hydrangeas...
stridn
Hydrangea Blooms
A young macrophylla bloom. Post your pics!
catkin
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™