a few questions

granygreenthumb(7a)October 5, 2008

IPLANTED MY FIRST PEEGEE HYDRANGEA THIS YEAR. IT NEVER BLOOMED. WHEN I PLANTED THE STICK IT WAS ABOUT 8" LONG. IT DIDN'T TAKE IT LONG TO TAKE OFF. IT IS SUPPOSE TO BE A TREE, BUT ALL THE LIMBS ARE ABOUT 4' LONG BUT ALL ARE LAYING ON THE GROUND. IT LOOKS LIKE A SHRUB MORE THAN A TREE. MY QUESTIONS ARE :

1 SHOULD I CUT IT BACK?

2 HOW MUCH SHOULD I CUT IT BACK?

3 IS IT SURPOSED TO BLOOM THE FIRST YEAR OR YEARS LATER?

I REALLY APPRECIATE ANYONES HELP

GRANY

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

First, disable your caps lock :-) Posting in all caps is the Internet equivalent of shouting and is generally considered poor form......besides, it's darn hard to read!

Second, an 8" stick is not a tree, despite how it might have been advertised when sold. Hydrangeas are NOT naturally trees by habit and tree form hydrangeas are trained that way over time, so that the "stick" or trunk portion is allowed to elongate and thicken with age, then lower branches removed to develop a tree-like form. This takes time, typically several years or more, which is why standard or tree form hydrangeas tend to carry higher price tags.

The form you describe is pretty typical for a PeeGee - they have very lax branching that often are more prostrate than upright. You can train this small plant into a tree form yourself, but again it will take several years (3-5, sometimes more) to accomplish. The trunk must be trained vertically, so will probably need to be staked, otherwise the weight of the branches will pull it over. Once the trunk has begun to thicken and gained some girth in a couple of seasons, you can slowly begin removing lower branches.

Finally, it is not unusual for newly planted shrubs not to bloom their first season in the ground, especially one that is as tiny as your 8" 'stick'. Provided it is sited and planted correctly and nothing damages it, it should bloom next season.

Bookmark   October 5, 2008 at 9:00PM
More Discussions
Hydrangea Blooms
A young macrophylla bloom. Post your pics!
catkin
New 2015 hydrangea cultivars?
Anybody looking into what's coming in 2015. I thought...
plumism
Hydrangea has never bloomed
Hi everyone, I purchased three Forever and Ever hydrangeas...
stridn
Everlasting series
I'm a grower in RI and tried the Everlasting series...
theplayer
So Cal Hydrangeas growth is stunt
Hi, I live about 3 miles from the beach in Southern...
nikole220
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™