Cheap Orchids and Bromelliads at Target

pieohmyMay 11, 2007

I'm always on the hunt for a good deal and found a great one today. The Target in Baton Rouge (millerville) has small buckets that have both a bromelliad and an orchid in it. Both are in bloom in most of them and are a fairly good size. They are $6.24 (75% off). So two nice plants for less than $7! Target sales are usually nationwide so if your Target has a garden center they may have them too. They will need to be repotted though as the little buckets are not ideal conditions for either.

What is sad is that I had just bought two orchids from Lowes off the clearance rack. Not blooming, not as large, and more expensive LOL.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vancleaveterry

At the Ocean Springs Walmart this past fall they had a dozen orchids that had finished blooming and I made a low ball offer and after waiting a few minutes for the manager to decide, they accepted my offer. I think I paid $3 a piece for them.

Then I remembered I don't have a greenhouse ... so I gave them to some friends who do. Hopefully they'll bloom again for them.

Bookmark   May 11, 2007 at 11:35PM
leubafr(z8/9)

Vancleaveterry, you don't need a greenhouse to grow orchids in your area. I live in Slidell and grow them outside all year with exception of probably 3 months. Just bring them in by a sunny window and they will be fine depending on the amount of light they need.

Mine hang on my fence or in the trees depending upon the amount of light.

P.S. When I was a kid we used to swim at Cedar Creek in Vancleave. I am originally from Pascagoula.

Bookmark   May 15, 2007 at 11:11AM
vancleaveterry

Hello Leubafr... I only recently moved to The Cleave, from Fountainbleau really. In a few years I'll give orchids a try again. Thanks!

Terry

Bookmark   May 15, 2007 at 11:23PM
pieohmy

I've also read about what folks in Florida call ground orchids. I think (think being iffy) that we may be able to get away with them here also. Our zones have been changed to 9 recently, which includes Slidell. Anyway I figure I got them so cheap I will try one in the ground this year and see how it goes.

Bookmark   May 27, 2007 at 12:44AM
More Discussions
When to seed new lawn with Centipede?
We had our new house lot graded with fresh dirt in...
skb3_br
Jacaranda Mimosifolia
Anyone in south Louisiana growing this tree in the...
lac1361
Do your snaps bloom in winter?
Hi, folks. It's pansy planting time here, and as I...
donnabaskets
When to prune live oak
Hi everyone. I need to prune a live oak to clear the...
jon2412
Night blooming jasmine TREE
not a vine but tree. does anyone have any information...
energy_rater_la
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™