Transplanting iris-again!

indymom76(5)June 19, 2009

Hello everyone-I have posted a few times here, but I am more of a lurker. I really enjoy reading your posts and admiring all of your beautiful iris! Well, my question to all of you is this-I transplanted some iris about a month ago. I'm going to have to uproot them again within the next couple of weeks. I'm going to dig them up, we're laying new dirt down near the house (water issues-trying to slope it away so we don't have water in the basement), and put them back in the ground. Same day, same area. If I do this, should I cut the leaves back even more? I've already cut them back so they are about 8-12 inches high now.

Any thoughts/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
iris_gal(z9 CA)

If they tip over you may need to take them down to 6". Otherwise I'd leave them as is.

Good for you being a lurker. I lurked on the rose gallery for a couple of years and learned a lot.

Bookmark   June 19, 2009 at 3:39PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kittyl(8/9 Calif)

Because you are doing it the second time does not mean you need to trim some more. Iris can be transplanted without trimming the leaves or with some trimming. Trimming the leaves is done more for handling purposes. Transplanting an iris rhizome is not like transplanting perennial flowers with only roots. Much easier to move an iris. If you're moving it now, there is lots of time for it to develop more roots this year and next spring you won't be able to tell you've moved it twice.

Bookmark   June 27, 2009 at 7:42PM
More Discussions
Is this Immortality?
I already posted a question about this Iris (see 'Iris...
lydia1959
Irises
I live in Virginia and was told I need to cut back...
maxymom
Moving iris
I have a large bed of Iris that I inherited. I have...
Beth1234
Do you mulch Iris Bed for winter?
I replanted all my iris after the beard iris borer...
redsun9
Too many roots!
I had a spot in the yard and grass would not grow....
jim_1 Zone 5B Illinois
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™