Is there any green/snap/wax bean variety with a white pod?

denninmi(8a)January 29, 2012

White, white-ish, or so pale yellow as to appear white or at least "cream" colored.

I came up with this admittedly strange idea to grow an all-white vegetable garden. Most vegetables come in "white" or nearly white, from the common, such as white sweet corn, to the more unusual, such as white okra and white cucumbers.

But I haven't come up with an edible-podded bean that appears white or nearly white. There are, of course, many shelled beans that are white. But I would like to find some kind of edible-podded bean with a (nearly) white pod.

If no one knows of a P. vulgaris or a runner with a white pod, any "near" beans such as any strains of Southern peas with a white pod?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
farmerdill

Once upon a time there were white podded wax beans; White Zulu, Crystal White Wax, Ivory Pod Wax. Have no idea if you can find them today. Today there is supposedly a white podded Adzuki bean, but I have never encountered it.

Here is a link that might be useful: White wax forum discussion

Bookmark   January 29, 2012 at 5:04PM
fusion_power

Try Synergy Seeds.

http://www.synergyseeds.com/

DarJones

Bookmark   January 29, 2012 at 5:42PM
donnabaskets(Zone 8a, Central MS)

Dennis, I just want to say that I love your white garden idea. You know I love vegetable gardening, but my strong suit is still flower gardening. I do a fair amount of design work around the community and my favorite designs are always gardens designed with green and white. If you do entries at a garden show or state fair, I should think that a green and white veggie bed would be an award winner.

Zipper Cream cowpeas have cream colored bean shells when they are ripe and ready to pick. And our southern Scuppernong grapes are a pale cream to yellow colored. (Don't know if they'd do as far north as you are.)

Also, you might want to consider white variegated foliage.
It seems to me that I have read of this in beans, but I can't remember where. There is definitely white variegated basil and white variegated mint (though, of course, that would be aggressive).

Bookmark   January 30, 2012 at 8:06PM
denninmi(8a)

Well, all I can keep thinking of is the famous "White Garden" at Sissinghurst.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sissinghurst

Bookmark   January 30, 2012 at 9:04PM

Certainly. Have you been there? If I had a bucket list AND a Jack Nicholson type benefactor, touring Sissinghurst and other great European gardens would be very near the top of my list!

Bookmark   January 31, 2012 at 7:06PM
deanriowa(4b)

How is their flavor compared to other wax beans?

Do they keep their color as wax beans do?

Bookmark   February 1, 2012 at 2:00PM
denninmi(8a)

I haven't been anywhere! I'm not really a traveler. The extent of my foreign travels have been Windsor and Sarnia, Ontario -- woo hoo, Windsor is a whole 25 mile trip from my house. Sarnia is a little more exotic, it's about 60 miles.

Bookmark   February 1, 2012 at 4:32PM

All the more reason to be grateful for photography. I was in Ontario once when I was a teenager. I remember it as beautiful, green, lush, and COOL in the summer. That last one made a real impression on this southern girl. Would love to go back someday.

Bookmark   February 2, 2012 at 2:16PM
fusion_power

As a side note, Striped Bunch beans have the trait for white beans. The seed are brown with darker brown/maroon stripes, but the beans have a white gloss on the outside.

DarJones

Bookmark   February 2, 2012 at 8:20PM
zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin

Bumping this up, in case there is still some interest. I was just looking through Synergy Seeds' website, and they have "Crystal Wax" as one of their Spring specials.

Here is a link that might be useful: Synergy Seed Exchange

Bookmark   February 10, 2013 at 6:10PM
brightmeadow

I grew the Crystal Wax (Ice) bean this past year and really liked it. Initially the pods are green and that is when I ate them. Then, the pods turned a whitish colour. I was amazed to see them! They are a very ancient bean variety. I ordered from Synergy Seeds last year and had excellent service from them as well as 100 per cent germination on the seeds.

Bookmark   February 10, 2013 at 9:13PM
More Discussions
black gandules
Hi, does anyone know where I can find black gandules?...
ily68
True Heirloom Romano Pole Beans
I've been ordering Romano pole beans for the past few...
fignut
New raised bed garden
I'm creating a raised bed garden in the front of the...
dbbob
Brown bunch beans---info....please.
My 3 rows of KY Wonder bush bean played their best...
utdeedee
2015 Growing season
I've just been going through my stash making a list...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™