Shade loving plants that soak up water

geno_b(8)May 2, 2007

I have a "wet spot" in my yard that gets very little sun. Any advice on plants that will soak up the water?

Central MS

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vancleaveterry

I'm not sure that plants "soak up" water to any appreciable extent. Some plants will grow in wet spots but I don't think they make the spots any less wet.

I hope someone suggests some plants for you. My experiance is mostly with trees.

Bookmark   May 2, 2007 at 11:07PM
sugarhill(7)

I have a wet spot in my yard too. Here are the plants that have done well for many years in that spot. It's not an unusual list, but here goes. Ligularia, astilbe, chelone lyonii, solmon's seal, lobelia, ferns of course, red dock, japanese anemone. Louisiana iris does well in wet soil but I don't have any so can't recommend it personally. For grondcovers, I shop the water garden section for plants that like to live on the edge of streams.

None of these plants soak up water, so they won't dry out the spot. They're just happy living in wet soil.

Bookmark   May 7, 2007 at 8:15AM
leubafr(z8/9)

I love banana trees for wet spots.

Leubafr

Bookmark   May 11, 2007 at 3:33PM
greenelbows1(z9--so LA)

I've been thinking if more of us planted carnivorous plants, many of which are native here, we'd have a lot less mosquitos. They too won't dry out the soil but need a wet spot to do well.

Bookmark   May 24, 2007 at 12:19AM
davidandkasie(Z8 MS)

http://msucares.com/lawn/landscape/types/shadelist.html has a list of shade loving plants that grow well in MS. that will get you started, as you will hav eot narrow down the water loving ones from there.

Bookmark   May 24, 2007 at 1:12PM
More Discussions
Any awesome nurseries near New Orleans???
In about a week, I will be going to New Orleans. Even...
LullabyF360
Looking for Gardeners in the NE
Looking for gardeners that live in Northeast Louisiana,...
sebastian
Avocats fiscalistes Canada
Deux ans plus tard, votre client vous appelle. Il est...
MichelCoderre1
South Louisiana Blueberries
Anyone growing blueberries in the ground in South Louisiana?...
pharmachad
When to prune live oak
Hi everyone. I need to prune a live oak to clear the...
jon2412
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™