Will runner beans climb a fence?

barbeygirlJanuary 26, 2008

I'd like to grow runner beans and runner-type cowpeas up my fence (4" x 2" wire mesh)...but will they climb? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jwr6404(8B Wa)

I plant runner beans in a pot and I use 4" x 2" wire fencing. I build a cage 8ft high and 6" larger in diameter than the pot. Do the same with my Tomatoes but keep the cage height to 5-6 ft.
Jim

Bookmark   January 26, 2008 at 11:42PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

Runner beans are not self clinging nor do they have tendrils like peas. They climb by twirling round and round a vertical string, pole or stick. They would be happy going up a mesh fence but you might need to guide them occasionally. They can get up to 12 or more feet so I hope you have a high fence, unless you don't mind a tangle at the top where they wave about and grab each other in a search for support. And don't forget they will fruit both sides of the fence, so unless you have access both sides you may miss some beans. If this happens they might stop producing. With runners it is important to keep picking for prolonged production. If you do so they can crop for three or four months.

Bookmark   January 28, 2008 at 10:01AM
More Discussions
Strange Pea problem - predator or what?
Hi. Last year, for the first time, my healthy green...
blueskink
Italian Rose bush beans.
I have some italian rose beans. Can they be grown in...
Desirai
where to find Hilda/Helda romano pole beans?
Two yeas ago health problems interfered with getting...
matthias_lang
Beans and leafrollers
Several years ago I was growing Rattlesnake pole beans...
madabouteu
The Mayocoba Bean story
Have you heard of the controversy that evidently went...
ruthieg__tx
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™