What palms are you growing?

Django(z9 LA)June 21, 2005

Driving around town I try to keep track of the variety of palms that we can grow or try to grow here. What are you growing? What stands up well to the torrential rain and occasional freeze?

In the ground, I am growing: canary island date palm (phoenix canariensis), silver date palm (phoenix sylvestris), triangle palm (neodypsis decaryi), foxtails (wodyetia bifurcata), chinese fan palm (livistona chinensis), queen palms (syagrus romanzooffiana), sabal palmettos, mexican fan palm (washingtonia robusta) and a bismarkia nobilis.

My bismarkia is hanging on by its last frond (I hope it is just getting its roots established.)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tamivileine(z8b OS,MS, US)

I have a couple cabbage sabals, a pindo (Butia capitata), a couple windmill palms (Trachycarpus fortunei) and a chinese fan palm (Livistona chinensis). Growing rampant and wild are the palmettos (Sabal minor)

Around town I see: various sabals, canary i. dates, pindos, washingtonias and palmettos. Further south and west, in the Waveland area, people are getting away with growing queen palms, but it's a bit warmer there, and they'll burn here in OS.

sea ya
tami

Bookmark   June 21, 2005 at 9:55AM
More Discussions
Anyone grow Almonds or English Walnuts?
I am near Baton Rouge, and thinking of planting some...
mmckey2
Is it time to plant Four O'Clock seeds?
I bought a package of mixed color seeds that I want...
janet_la
Weed Control New Lawn
Hello! I planted a centipede lawn from seed at the...
BrittWave1
blueberry or blackberry ? (or muscadine?)
hi all i am in Southern Louisiana, outside of NOLA i...
greenman62
How to get rid of elephant ears?
I know these can be really nice plants(and I'm sure...
Gumbo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™