native rose

thejimmie(zone8/La.)June 29, 2004

anyone know of a rose that is native to Louisiana? i`ve heard of a "wild" rose that is supposed to grow in the woods or something like that. please help, thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jperilloux(8b LA)

The only wild rose I've seen around here is the Cherokee rose, and I haven't seen it here since the levee board began mowing the levees more than 50 years ago.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.auburn.edu/~deancar/wfnotes/cherokee.htm

Bookmark   June 29, 2004 at 10:55AM
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

The swamp rose, rosa palustris, is naitive as is rosa arkansas, the Arkansas Rose, and rosa carolina, the Pasture Rose, and rosa setigera, the Prarie Rose. Rosa multifora and rosa bracteata, and rosa laevigata are not naitives even though they have naturalized all over North America. Rosa bracteata and rosa multiflora are considered noxious invasives in many parts of the country, so be sure to check to see how your state regards them before deciding to add them to a garden.

You can look up photos of each of these at HelpMeFind.

Here is a link that might be useful: HelpMeFind

Bookmark   June 29, 2004 at 12:22PM
live_oak_lady(Zone 9)

May be the Cherokee Rose. There are lots of them growing on the River Road in Covington--the Road that leads to St. Joseph's Abbey along the Boguefalaya River.

Bookmark   June 29, 2004 at 3:42PM
danbo(8b MS Coast)

Though I'd been a number of years. I found a small wild rose. A creeping rose growing along the roads in rural Mississippi, just nort of Biloxi in the National Forest. I have no idea what it was. But like native lilies. When you see one you want to stop and take a look.

Bookmark   June 29, 2004 at 8:18PM
jim2k(mississippi)

Have one growing around a power pole it's pink there are some red ones down the road. They just bloom once a year in the spring.they are easy to start but hard to get rid of.Will send some cuting if you wont them. Jim

Bookmark   July 1, 2004 at 11:32AM
louisiana_girl(8Central La.)

Seven Sisters?Can be found around old deserted homeplaces.

Bookmark   August 28, 2004 at 3:12PM
More Discussions
Northeast Mississippi Gardeners
Anyone here from Booneville/Tupelo area ? Jenkins
Jenkins
Do your snaps bloom in winter?
Hi, folks. It's pansy planting time here, and as I...
donnabaskets
When to prune live oak
Hi everyone. I need to prune a live oak to clear the...
jon2412
Looking for Gardeners in the NE
Looking for gardeners that live in Northeast Louisiana,...
sebastian
Lake Charles fruit/citrus trees
Hi all, I'm in Lake Charles (zone 9). I am in the process...
rockydog101
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™