70-Year-Old Hydrangea Tree

Sue-Zone5October 25, 2013

My grandmother used to live next to us and I always remember her hydrangea tree. It's still alive today and has to be at least 70 or more by now. Parts have died out, but it continues to bloom. Does anyone know how long they live? Also, should I fertilize it? If so, when and with what?

PS~I have taken some slips. I hope to winter them over on our enclosed porch. The heat does come on at times when our furnace runs and it's quite warm, but for only a brief amount of time. The rest of the time (90%) it's quite cold out there. Does this sound like a good place for them or not? I'm new to this but quite interested!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luis_pr(7b/8a Hurst, TX)

It sounds like it is quite happy and is well treated. Hope it continues to be. You could put a layer of compost or composted manure in Spring. Normally 1/4 to 1/2" thick is ok. You can also use cottonseed meal. If the soil has not been fertilized in a while, consider doing a soil test to check for mineral deficiencies.

Clippings will not do well in such an environment as they lack a good root system and will need moisture that is not frozen. If they go below 32 in the porch... I dunno; , they could turn to mush.

Bookmark   October 26, 2013 at 12:06AM
unprofessional(5)

Please take some pictures, with something in them that gives a sense of scale. I'd be very interested to see the size.

Hydrangeas root very easily. I usually put a freezer bag over the pot to keep humidity close to 100%. Temp needs to stay around 70ish. Takes about three months to develop a really good root system.

Bookmark   October 26, 2013 at 9:36AM
hokierustywilliamsbu

Our family home has one that is at least 70 years and about 25 feet tall with quite a trunk. I have seen it bloom for the last 50 plus years!!!!

Bookmark   October 26, 2013 at 12:05PM
More Discussions
Anyone use shrub covers to overwinter in zone5?
I was looking at ways to protect my hydrangeas next...
jager1
Deer resistant hydrangea?
Hello! I am looking to replace some shrubs this spring...
chelseahasrouni
Ericaceous compost for hydrangea
I have grown hydrangeas in containers since last summer....
jchad214
DEEP blue
When I was growing up my grandmother had big vigorous...
Kristin
Looking for hardy hydrangeas to plant.
Looking to plant a couple of hardy hydrangeas. Live...
abykatz22
Sponsored Products
Area Rug: Nevis Passage Green/Beige 3' 7" x 5' 6"
$59.97 | Home Depot
Forever Green Art Golden Pears And Preserved Hydrangea Arrangement
Beyond Stores
Sherwood Lamps - 34"H
Grandin Road
Couristan Everest Palm Rug Multicolor - 28036387910125T
$899.00 | Hayneedle
Canada Sign Resin Ornament
$7.99 | zulily