how do I remove a faded bloom?

tambo747(5 Canada)June 5, 2009

Hi everyone!

Last fall I planted reblooming bearded iris's and they are blooming beautifully. The first bloom on immortality has now faded and is shrivelled up. My question is how to remove the spent bloom if at all and where exactly to cut?

Thank you in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aliska12000(Z5)

I saw a youtube video that dealt with that very thing among others and have been doing it, not sure it makes that much difference unless you are exhibiting.

There is a dried "husk" papery covering at the base, peel that down until you expose the seed pod just starting to form and snap it off there under the pod. If there is another bud forming close, be careful.

Some I snap a little too short, doubt it matters much so long as you destroy the seed pod so it won't use the plant's energy forming seed.

Found it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cooley's Iris Gardens

Bookmark   June 5, 2009 at 3:56PM
tambo747(5 Canada)

Thank you for your help Aliska! I watched the video and it was very helpful. You tube, as I found out, has many helpful gardening clips!
Take Care,
Tammy

Bookmark   June 6, 2009 at 7:57AM
aliska12000(Z5)

You're most welcome. I'm mainly into roses and propagation, but found many helpful gardening videos on youtube. I've really been bitten by the iris bug now though after having some stunning success with a few.

Bookmark   June 6, 2009 at 2:36PM
ofionnachta(z6 WNJ)

Fingernail pinch here. Also, a nip with a sharp little scissors if needed. Got the scissors at the notions dept of Jo Ann fabrics.

Bookmark   August 9, 2009 at 6:09PM
More Discussions
Iris douglasiana
I'm looking for sources for this iris that will ship....
herbal
Bottle Rocket
Pretty Tall Bearded from last years bloom, Crossed...
criris_z8
Moving iris
I have a large bed of Iris that I inherited. I have...
Beth1234
Dutch Iris
Can Dutch Iris be planted in the Spring ? or are they...
maximus2015
Anyone know how to reach Zebra Gardens?
Hello! I found Zebra Gardens and their breathtaking...
redwolfdoc_z5
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™