How long will veggies last here?

julieann_growJune 11, 2006

I'm trying to plan my Fall veggie garden and the Louisiana Ag Center website has a good list of WHEN to plant the Fall veggies. But, I don't know WHERE in my garden b/c I do not know how long the current crops will last into the Fall.

I currently have field peas, cukes, tomatoes, pole beans, pole yard long beans, squash, eggplants.

So, some of the Fall plantings start as early as July and August. Will my current crops be "gone" by then? What happens to them...I mean do they stop setting fruit, get diseases...? How will I know when to pull them up?

I mean, I am in Louisiana where it is warm and I keep them watered. I don't quite understand why they would stop producing at all other than July/Aug when it is probably too hot for some to set fruit. But then in Sept when it cools down a bit, wouldn't they just start producing again until frost.

Do people have their Fall crops planted along side of the existing crops or in place of?

Thanks...

Confused in Louisiana (aka Julie)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
harper(8)

Julie, you can keep your peppers and tomatoes in the garden all summer, but production will slow or stop until temps begin to fall again. You'll also need to fight insects. I did that one year with tomatoes and never again. In fact, I started pulling tomato plants yesterday. I've been harvesting for 6 weeks and have had little new fruit set except for on the cherry tomatoes. I just get tired of dealing with the heat & humidity.

Harper

Bookmark   June 12, 2006 at 11:14AM
More Discussions
Ground cover
I need a good ground cover that can be walk on.I thought...
jim2k
South Louisiana Blueberries
Anyone growing blueberries in the ground in South Louisiana?...
pharmachad
Any awesome nurseries near New Orleans???
In about a week, I will be going to New Orleans. Even...
LullabyF360
Looking for Gardeners in the NE
Looking for gardeners that live in Northeast Louisiana,...
sebastian
Has anybody else seen purple dragonflies?
Hi! I was drinking my coffee by the koi pond this morning...
taffyj
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™