edible pea sprouts

roxanna(z5b MA)January 1, 2013

new here as i am about to begin a first-time veggie garden this summer, i hope. last summer, at a lovely quirky restaurant in York ME, i enjoyed fresh pea shoots which were served as a garnish. i had never had them before, and they are lovely! i'd like to grow my own, but don't know where to start. are they simply very young pea plants so any seed peas would give me the desired result? or are they something particular, and if so, where do i get them?

thanks for any advice!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
LoboGothic(6b SW Ontario CANADA)

roxanna, there is a lot of information online and you should easily find info about which peas are best for sprouting. There isn't much to lose by trying any seed you find but you must be sure they have not been treated with chemical fungicide or insecticide. If I were wanting some sprouts, I'd start with an edible podded pea. It seems logical that if you can eat the hull, the foliage might be quite tasty too.

Then when you find your ideal seed, you can grow it for your sprouting supply. You have the advantage of a previous tasting so you know what you're looking for. Best wishes for your very first garden, you're in for hours of pleasure.

Bookmark   January 2, 2013 at 9:04AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
roxanna(z5b MA)

thanks so much for the reply! i shall look for a sweet pod for my sprouts as you suggest. i'm really looking forward to some veggie gardening this year after having had some success with growing some annuals and perennials from seed for the first time last year. nothing's better than fresh homegrown vegetables!

Bookmark   January 3, 2013 at 11:18AM
More Discussions
Margaret Best Greasy Cut Short
These took 66 days to the first picking. I planted...
shuffles_gw
black gandules
Hi, does anyone know where I can find black gandules?...
ily68
Shelly Beans
I was just discussing an heirloom bean, "Ma Williams",...
zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
Gialet della Val Belluna Bean
Has anyone grown this, or know anything about it? I...
rosieo
What does "as soon as soil can be worked" really mean?
I know it might be a dumb question to ask because the...
beesneeds
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™