Any way to counteract excess chlorine in New Orleans water?

linda47(z8)June 11, 2006

Our area has quite a bit of chlorine added to the water since Katrina. We've had no rain for weeks now, so I'm watering often. Some of my bedding plants are looking quite washed out, yellow, brown areas etc. I've heard the same from neighbors.

Is there anything you can use to counteract that?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bigoledude(SE Louisiana)

Hey Ms. Linda

Activated carbon will neutralize chlorine. I am not sure if it will be as effective on chloramine. A quick Google search will answer the chloramine question. New Orleans will gladly tell you if they use chloramine or chlorine.

Several years ago I built a very simple device to add water to my aquarium that did a fabulous job of removing chlorine.

Bring this post with you to your LOCAL hardware guy. He will understand and sell you every part you need. If your harware guy can't help you, go to a plumber's supply. The typical Home Depot people won't usually be much help.

Use a piece of PVC pipe 12 to 18 inhes long and 4 inches in diameter to hold your carbon. Then, buy the fittings necessary for you end up with a female hose fitting on one end and a male hose fitting on the other end. Now, one 4-inch end must be un-screwable so that you may change-out the carbon.

The opposite end may be permenantly glued. Use the leg portion of panty hose or, a knee-high stocking to make a bag-of-carbon that you will stuff into the pipe. The stocking is simply a "screen" to prevent the carbon from blowing out of the pipe.

When you are finished you will have a device that will hold several pounds of carbon and, will last a long time if all you use it for is the plants.

I use a short hose to go from the spigot to the filter so the filter lays on the ground. Then my garden hose is connected to the other end. The filter could actually be screwed directly onto the spigot but if you yank on the hose too hard you could possibly snap off the fitting.

Send me a message here, if you need me to elaborate further.

Bookmark   June 12, 2006 at 2:30AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
linda47(z8)

Thanks bigoledude! That will take some doing, but I think I can manage it.

Bookmark   June 12, 2006 at 5:03PM
More Discussions
Avocats fiscalistes Canada
Deux ans plus tard, votre client vous appelle. Il est...
MichelCoderre1
Full Sun Shrubs
I have tried two years in a row to get some shrubs...
daviddsims
Has anybody else seen purple dragonflies?
Hi! I was drinking my coffee by the koi pond this morning...
taffyj
Lake Charles fruit/citrus trees
Hi all, I'm in Lake Charles (zone 9). I am in the process...
rockydog101
ID'ing Lawn weeds
Wasn't sure if this were better posted in Louisiana/Missisppi...
gooup
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™