Novice gardeners desperate for advice!

cheri127November 7, 2009

Hi. I've never posted here before (I'm usually in kitchens) but hope that I can get some advice on cutting back Annabelle hydrangeas. Our front garden was professionally landscaped two years ago and consists mostly of hydrangeas (Annabelle and oakleaf) and hostas. The annabelles were planted in the fall and bloomed beautifully the first season. We didn't cut them back or prune them and the following spring their leaves and blooms came back on the existing stems. They were large, with about 200 gorgeous blooms, but basically took over the whole garden! Now, the blooms and stems are brown and we were wondering if we should cut them back to the ground to keep them from sprawling even more next spring. DH and I know nothing about gardening so any advice you could give would really be appreciated. We are in zone 7 and the garden faces north. TIA.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
madeyna(7/8)

I don,t grow Annabelles but if you do a seach here you will come up with a lot of info. on them . I alot of people do cut them back pretty hard every year. You can also tie them up to keep them from sprawling out so much.

Bookmark   November 7, 2009 at 12:30PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

Yes, you can cut them back hard but the recommendation is typically to do so in late winter or early spring. In zone 7, I doubt you will encounter any problems if you need to do it now.

Bookmark   November 8, 2009 at 9:02AM
More Discussions
New 2015 hydrangea cultivars?
Anybody looking into what's coming in 2015. I thought...
plumism
Pruning Hydrangeas
Should I prune my hydrangeas this spring?
kgibbs25
Nikko Blue size
I planted a tiny bare root stick of a Nikko Blue Last...
NVL4
Everlasting series
I'm a grower in RI and tried the Everlasting series...
theplayer
Need help with hydrangea companions
Hello. I am putting in a new bed this Spring. It is...
suz9601
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™