Raspberries haven't blossomed

annieshilltop(8)June 19, 2009

My husband planted Heritage raspberries three years ago. They have never blossomed or produced any berries. They have been fertilized, watered and cut back to the ground the last 2 seasons. They get sun except for the early morning hours when they are semi-shaded. The plants are very healthy looking but just have never blossomed. We are in South Central Mississippi. This is my first posting. Will appreciate any info I can give him.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
natal(Louisiana 8b)

We grew raspberries for a couple years until they petered out. They were canes we got from my dad's northern Indiana garden. Definitely not meant for the south, but we figured nothing ventured nothing gained.

I Googled for info on Heritage. Sounds like it might not be the best choice for the deep south.

Here is a link that might be useful: Heritage raspberries

Bookmark   June 19, 2009 at 6:47PM
annieshilltop(8)

Thanks, Natal. My husband was told this was the best variety for the area but it certainly doesn't seem to be. If there is a good one for this area.
The canes look great but we want berries. Berries won't happen without blossoms. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Bookmark   June 19, 2009 at 10:35PM
nejackson

You said you cut the canes down to the ground every year. Please check out the instructions for growing raspberries at the following website: http://www.thegardenhelper.com/raspberry.html. It says "Never cut off the new canes which haven't produced yet, they will produce the next years crop." That's probably why they have never flowered. Good luck; I love raspberries, but I thought it was too hot here to grow them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing and Caring for Raspberry Plants

Bookmark   June 22, 2009 at 4:02PM
More Discussions
Avocats fiscalistes Canada
Deux ans plus tard, votre client vous appelle. Il est...
MichelCoderre1
When to seed new lawn with Centipede?
We had our new house lot graded with fresh dirt in...
skb3_br
Was this past winter harsh in Miss/ Louisiana?
You guys are about as southern as possible, but did...
poaky1
Anyone grow Almonds or English Walnuts?
I am near Baton Rouge, and thinking of planting some...
mmckey2
Planting a Live Oak
Hi... I'm new to the forum, and I hope you welcome...
nolawed
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™