figs

virginia34(south)June 1, 2012

My fig tree is old. I fertilized and watered it regularly. It had lots of small figs, two days ago they started to fall off the tree, were small and swiveled. HELP

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
plan9fromposhmadison(8A Madison Mississippi)

Sounds like the Nematodes have gotten to your Fig. Sorry. This is supposedly inevitable. Oh well, the leaves are still very nutritious, and great for wraps.

I haven't researched it, but maybe you can combat the bad Nematodes with good ones (they can be ordered).

Here's another Gardenweb Fig thread: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/fig/msg0202495016357.html Nematodes are discussed here.

Bookmark   June 4, 2012 at 1:10PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Angelicisi(8)

I had this problem with an aged fig tree here on the back of the property. After quite a fight with carpenter ants (we won - they left lol) We assumed it a lost cause and gave it a severe pruning last year as a last resort. Tree WAS huge 7x6ft easy, would produce lil green figs then they'd wilt and fall off...with a chainsaw & large pruners, reduced to about a 4x4ft tree again after the other healthy fig trees finished fruiting last season. Now all sturdy branches have grownin again and fruit has already ripened :-) It IS quite a bit smaller now but still producing a large fruit bowl a day, worth of figs :-)

Bookmark   July 7, 2012 at 2:03AM
More Discussions
Ground cover
I need a good ground cover that can be walk on.I thought...
jim2k
ID'ing Lawn weeds
Wasn't sure if this were better posted in Louisiana/Missisppi...
gooup
Do your snaps bloom in winter?
Hi, folks. It's pansy planting time here, and as I...
donnabaskets
South Louisiana Blueberries
Anyone growing blueberries in the ground in South Louisiana?...
pharmachad
looking for local source of native azaleas
Hi, Does anyone know of any sources for native azaleas...
kchd
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™