Looking for a particular Southern shell pea

leylowe(8a)January 2, 2007

So glad to find this forum! I'm planning my first backyard vegetable garden for next spring and summer, and I'd really like to grow a pea that I grew up eating in middle GA but now cannot find anywhere. My grandfather grew what we called "little white peas." The name we gave them is misleading because they weren't white, they were light green both before and after cooking. They are not the tan-colored white acre peas, but are actually smaller and greener. They are not the purple hull ones either. I found a picture at the website linked below which looks very much like what I remember. This grower calls them conk peas - a name I've never heard, and says they are also called "green acre peas" or "cream peas." Does anyone here know how I can get my hands on some, and is "conk" the right name of the pea I'm thinking of? Thanks for any help!

Here is a link that might be useful:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardenlad(6b KY)

Did you try contacting the grower you refer to? Seems like that would be the best starting point.

I can't find any reference just to conk (probably conch?). But both William Woys Weaver and Jere Gettle grow a Running Conch, and list it in the SSE Yearbook. That may be what you're looking for. Here's the description: "long vining plants, good yields of small, delicious cream-colored peas, great for growing in the South, one of the parent varieties of Zipper Cream, an heirloom of the late 1800s." Gettle lists it at MR, which would indicate it's in tight supply. This is supported by the fact it is not listed in his catalog.

Weaver, who adds that it's best for the deep South, got his seed originally from J.L. Hudson. So you might check the Hudson catalog to see if it's still listed.

Bookmark   January 3, 2007 at 6:36AM
seminole6556

What you are looking for is conk or green acre peas. Zipper cream peas are very close in taste, just easier to shell, and a little larger. Check Victory seed company, as they are one of the only places have found them. If not mistaken they call them Texas cow peas. There is a company in Plant City, FL,- (Southwestern Produce) that will send them to you already shelled and frozen. Not all bad if you can't get them any other way. Have done it a couple of times since moving to Colorado.

Bookmark   July 14, 2007 at 12:45AM
ruthieg__tx(z8 TX)

Seems like most white peas are greenish in color before they are mature....

Bookmark   July 14, 2007 at 8:34AM
More Discussions
Germination Test #1 Chinese Long Green long bean
My family has grown this variety of long bean since...
nightbloomincereus 7A noVA
Gialet della Val Belluna Bean
Has anyone grown this, or know anything about it? I...
rosieo
The Mayocoba Bean story
Have you heard of the controversy that evidently went...
ruthieg__tx
How is the harvest going?
Just wondering how everyone's harvest results have...
deanriowa
Shelly Beans
I was just discussing an heirloom bean, "Ma Williams",...
zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
Sponsored Products
Rectangular Laundry Basket Made From Faux Leather in White Finish
TheBathOutlet
Walters modern sectional sofa
Interior Define
Westbury White Drum Shade Brass Swing Arm Desk Lamp
Lamps Plus
Barcelona Ottoman-Brown - 100% Italian Leather
IFN Modern
Ink and Ivy Blake 3-piece Duvet Cover Set
Overstock.com