specific dried beans for specific recipes?

emmers_m(9a/Sunset 7 N Cal)February 4, 2011

I've been trying to expand my bean horizons a bit, so I got the SSE eating bean sampler. In trying to figure out how to use them, I did a fair amount of searching for recipes that called for the specific varieties I received, and mostly came up short. Finally I ended up cooking up three different types for a big batch of chili. Pinto was just a bean, October was marvelously creamy-textured, and Dutch Brown was firm and somewhat nutty. So there are obviously some differences to account for here.

Do you find yourself preferring specific varieties of dried beans for specific recipes, or specific types of recipes? Or do you just find a few favorite beans and end up using them in a number of different applications?

~emmers

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
catherine_nm

I live in the southwest, and pinto beans, black beans, and red beans are common in a lot of dishes. Less common, but historically used in this area are bolitas and a host of locally-grown beans (see the link)

I'm not a fan of pinto or bolita beans, too beany for me. Around here they are usually cooked with onions, garlic, and sometimes green chile as a side dish (not soup), which makes them palatable. ;-) They are both an ugly color when cooked, though.

Red beans are common in Texas-style chile, and I use them in a Portugese kale soup, too. They hold their shape well, have good color, and good flavor on their own or with red chile.

Black beans are cooked as a side dish like the pintos, and we eat them in soup and other dishes. They have a neutral flavor, similar to red beans but a bit firmer. Again, they hold their shape well, and as a side dish they are a lovely dark color, but in other dishes they color everything else a dingy dark.

Finally, my last commonly used beans are cooked dried butter (lima) beans, in a Tuscan style bean and sausage soup. The beans hold their shape, barely, but are creamy and soft and delicious. I also marinate the cooked beans in a tomato vinagrette and serve them as a salad. Yummy!

So, yes, I do prefer specific dried beans for specific recipes. Part of it is taste and texture, but part is also what the beans look like on the plate or in the bowl.

Catherine

Here is a link that might be useful: Native Seeds/SEARCH

Bookmark   February 5, 2011 at 2:57PM
More Discussions
Beans and leafrollers
Several years ago I was growing Rattlesnake pole beans...
madabouteu
where to find Hilda/Helda romano pole beans?
Two yeas ago health problems interfered with getting...
matthias_lang
Interesting threads...
Searching for past posts isn't that easy, at least...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
Tiger Toung beans.
I found this bean in Baker Creak seed catalog,and sure...
dons916
Margaret Best Greasy Cut Short
These took 66 days to the first picking. I planted...
shuffles_gw
Sponsored Products
Ace Bayou 098 Brown Suede/Faux Leather Bean Bag Lounger - 9806101
$58.68 | Hayneedle
MLB Tailgate Toss Cornhole Set - 6MLB-D-105
$77.89 | Hayneedle
Area Rug: Douglas Coffee Bean 5' 3" x 7' 6"
Home Depot
100 lbs. of Replacement Jelly Belly Beans
$799.00 | FRONTGATE
Extra Large Denim-look Bean Bag
Overstock.com