Looking for suggestions on a good bean to grow

vangavFebruary 28, 2011

I'm looking for a good variety of bean to grow in my backyard. Being a novice gardener I was hoping that to get suggestions on what type might be best?

I have a fence that is about 3.5' tall, in full sun that I'd like to use as a wall of sorts to prevent my dog from poking their heads through and barking at my neighbors. I thought beans with their large leaves may fill up space between the slats but I'm open to other suggestions. I do have some concerns, first we get snow, a lot of snow and birds by the dozen. I'd also like to get something that I dont have to pamper too much, I'm new to this so mostly foolproof would be ideal. Also, I'm not sure how beans(or most veggies for that matter) survive the winter. I can cover them or do mulch to protect the stalks for the winter-no problem, but I'd rather not plant new seeds/plants every year. Not sure if this is at all possible but I'd love help?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
farmerdill

There are few perennial vegetables and beans are not among them except for a few types.

Bookmark   February 28, 2011 at 3:13PM
n2xjk

First, regarding surviving winter, up there in Michigan, most vegetables don't. About the only ones are parsnips, shallots, garlic, horseradish. Some herbs are perennial, like sage. Some self-sow (which makes them seem perennial!) like peppermint.

As for pole beans, putting them against 3.5' fence will cause them to spread out sideways once the vines reach the top of the fence. Most pole varieties can easily reach 10' and more (i.e., Kentucky Wonder, Blue Lake, Rattlesnake).

You can try Burpee's Golden Pole Bean, it's about the only variety I can think of which doesn't try to climb as high as most others. (Burpee themselves discontinued this variety a decade or two ago, but you can still find it from the occasional supplier of heirloom beans.)

You can also try a half-runner bean; they won't really climb, but if your dog is small enough they may form a sufficient barrier.

If you want to consider things in the flower department, there are all sorts of ways to cover a fence, ranging from roses to climbing nasturtiums.

Bookmark   February 28, 2011 at 4:20PM
mark_roeder(4B IA)

How about Reines de Violettes, an old bourbon rose. The canes grow to at least seven feet and I stretch them across my corner fence in both directions. Rose colors are pink to purple depending on the cloud cover.

Bookmark   March 8, 2011 at 12:47AM
More Discussions
Strange Pea problem - predator or what?
Hi. Last year, for the first time, my healthy green...
blueskink
True Heirloom Romano Pole Beans
I've been ordering Romano pole beans for the past few...
fignut
seed germinate
Got some blackened pea seed in the bulk section a the...
dons916
My first full beans
I will be harvesting full beans for the first time...
shuffles_gw
Interesting threads...
Searching for past posts isn't that easy, at least...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
Sponsored Products
John Richard Swirled Ceramic Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Black-winged 24-inch Lighted Wire Monster
Overstock.com
Tiffany Floor Lamp Home Lighting Fixture Stained Glass Lights
ParrotUncle
Raine Ottoman - Key Largo Grape Purple
Joybird Furniture
Black of Night Ovo Table Lamp
$99.99 | Lamps Plus
Safavieh Lyndhurst Floral Motif Greyish Blue/ Ivory Rug (6' Round)
Overstock.com
Afina Signature Collection Contemporary Lighted 17W x 40H in. Surface Mount Medi
$904.99 | Hayneedle
Serena & Lily Mercado Basket
Serena & Lily
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™