Anyone seeing hummingbirds??

jap373(z8b BR,LA)June 19, 2005

Is anyone seeing hummingbirds in their gardens right now? I think all the species except the ruby-throats moved on through in March and April...but the RT's ought to be here...right? I saw a couple back in April, and havent' seen hide nor feather since then... I've planted a dozen or more hummer-getter plants this year, and I'm keeping my feeders clean, but I'm just not having much luck. How are y'all doing??

--Jane in BR, LA

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
janet_la(z8b Louisiana)

I saw one yesterday, and again this morning before church.

Janet in Denham Springs

Bookmark   June 20, 2005 at 12:45AM
greenelbows1(z9--so LA)

I've been told by people who know a lot more about hummers than I do (not hard!) that they nest near water, so if you don't have a river or lake or bayou close by you won't see them until maybe a month from now. Then if you're lucky they'll bring the kids! Since I'm not very near the river I don't see 'em this time of year either, but they always come back. I'll probably seem 'em first in the abutilons, and then I'll put the feeders back up.

Bookmark   June 20, 2005 at 1:54AM
HanArt(8b)

They're nesting nearby. Not so much feeder activity unless it's raining.

Bookmark   June 20, 2005 at 1:10PM
jim2k(mississippi)

Not seeing as many as I did last year but maybe they are still nesting hope so.good luck Jim

Bookmark   June 20, 2005 at 1:22PM
sdogwood(9)

Jap 373, I saw them early in april and thats it. I too keep the feeder full and wait. Maybe they are waiting for rain.
sdogwood

Bookmark   June 20, 2005 at 2:46PM
helena_z8_ms

Hummers have been low in numbers for me this year, but it seems that the best time to see one has been at dusk. Saw one at 8 p.m. last night, the lastest for me ever.

Bookmark   June 21, 2005 at 9:09AM
down_south_LA(z8 La)

I have only seen one this summer, last summer we had plenty of them.

Bookmark   June 25, 2005 at 9:09PM
jap373(z8b BR,LA)

I've been out in the yard for longer periods of time the last 3 days, and guess what?! They're here, but oh so briefly! They visit maybe one plant each time, stay for a very few minutes, completely ignore the feeders, and then buzz off! All I've seen are females. I'm hoping they're tending nests nearby and will bring babies soon...

This made my day on Thursday!

--Jane in BR, LA

Bookmark   June 25, 2005 at 9:27PM
mrs_emily(8 Louisiana)

I had so many in my yard last year, my neighbor actually asked me what I was doing to attract them all. I haven't seen even one yet so far this year, but my zinnias are just now blooming brilliantly, and that seemed to be a favorite hangout for them before.

Bookmark   June 29, 2005 at 1:29AM
virginia34(south)

I only had one or two a day, until last week, filling my two feeders daily. Still not as many as last year.

Bookmark   July 5, 2005 at 2:03AM
katladie(z8Louisiana)

They were here in April and May, but I haven't seen any since. Of course, I am not out as much bc of the heat. Sure miss them.

Sharon in French Settlement, La.

Bookmark   July 12, 2005 at 6:52PM
daizygoldie

Yes, I have several which visit several times during the day but more often in the late evening hours. I live in the Picayune area.

Bookmark   May 19, 2006 at 4:06PM
julieann_grow

I've been seeing one almost every evening, including night before last. Actually had the wonder of watching it while it sat on my trellis preening itself. A RT.

He or she seems to like my milkweed flowers the most.

Julie in Thibodaux

Bookmark   May 26, 2006 at 2:22PM
gardnpondr(Zone 8)

I'm not hardly seeing any either this year. I'm afraid Katrina blew them away. :( I've seen one or two and in the last I have had herds of them here feeding. So sad to because I love them!!!

Bookmark   June 11, 2006 at 12:48AM
helena_z8_ms

Even though HB numbers have been low this year. I'm lucky to have them again this year. I garden mainly for them.

Bookmark   June 18, 2006 at 10:49AM
burninfilm

Early on we had quite a few. Now it's an occasional visit. Hopefully they will return soon to. We are in the Picayune area.

Bookmark   June 19, 2006 at 11:05AM
jetstream_ms

I finally put up some hummingbird feeders this year. I have seen at least 4 hummingbirds come to the feeders. 3 females and 1 male. Very beautiful.
They come all the time.

Bookmark   June 26, 2006 at 8:21PM
More Discussions
Planting a Live Oak
Hi... I'm new to the forum, and I hope you welcome...
nolawed
ID'ing Lawn weeds
Wasn't sure if this were better posted in Louisiana/Missisppi...
gooup
Looking for Gardeners in the NE
Looking for gardeners that live in Northeast Louisiana,...
sebastian
Was this past winter harsh in Miss/ Louisiana?
You guys are about as southern as possible, but did...
poaky1
Jacaranda Mimosifolia
Anyone in south Louisiana growing this tree in the...
lac1361
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™