losing leaves on fig trees

clarfitz(8la.)July 10, 2004

seems that my figs are late this year.we have 6 VERY large fig trees.the leaves are turning brown and dying.any ideas?we have had so much rain,thought that might be the problem.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hannahholly

I'm over by Houston, and am experiencing the same thing with all my fig trees. The fruit seem to be ok so far, but some leaves are yellowing and falling off. I am attributing it to too much rain.

Bookmark   July 10, 2004 at 10:07PM
greenelbows(z9--so LA)

That's interesting--most years when it's dry we have trouble with the fig leaves turning brown and yellow and falling off. This year with all the rain they're staying beautifully green. I think it's a fungus, but somebody I believed (but I don't remember who!) told me not to worry about it, that it wouldn't hurt the trees and spraying would be expensive and not very effective. For what it's worth----

Bookmark   July 12, 2004 at 12:11AM
Joeray(Z9 LA)

We had a pretty fair crop of figs, but most are gone. The leaves of our trees are starting to yellow and will soon be falling. This happens every year with my trees. They'll start trying to put out new leaves next January, when it's still cold. They sometimes get nipped by frost doing this.

Bookmark   July 12, 2004 at 10:19PM
greenelbows(z9--so LA)

Lous Miller on his garden show from Baton Rouge yesterday said it's a rust and not to worry about it.

Bookmark   July 13, 2004 at 8:44PM
bigeasyjock(z8Ms)

I was told to lime my figs. I'm giving it a try. I'm told it makes a huge difference in plant vigor.
Mike

Bookmark   July 18, 2004 at 4:54PM
More Discussions
When to seed new lawn with Centipede?
We had our new house lot graded with fresh dirt in...
skb3_br
Northeast Mississippi Gardeners
Anyone here from Booneville/Tupelo area ? Jenkins
Jenkins
Mirliton
Anybody see any Mirliton seedlings in the New Orleans,...
alblancher
looking for local source of native azaleas
Hi, Does anyone know of any sources for native azaleas...
kchd
Night blooming jasmine TREE
not a vine but tree. does anyone have any information...
energy_rater_la
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™