Fall Vegetable Gardens

deltazinniaJuly 1, 2009

This is the first year I have really had a garden, and with our abundance of rain flooding it and making us start over, and now the lack of rain... Well, on to happier things. I am ready to start planning our fall garden. I really need some help here. I want some kale and turnip greens, and some salad greens. What other veggies do y'all plant and when do you plant them?

Thanks for any advice you can give!

Betty

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
natal(Louisiana 8b)

Our Extension office provides a chart with dates, but I couldn't find one for Mississippi. Found an article on fall planting and that was it. I'll link it.

I haven't grown fall tomatoes in years, so I'm giving that a shot this year. I'm in southern Louisiana so I need to transplant later this month. Also plan on growing bush beans, lettuce, arugula, Swiss chard, beets, and cosmos.

Here is a link that might be useful: fall gardening in Mississippi

Bookmark   July 1, 2009 at 12:57PM
louisianagal(z7bMS)

I've got something tacked to my laundry room wall, don't remember where I got it, it is a newspaper page. It says Zones Determine Planting Dates. And it gives 5 zones for Mississippi. But I don't have the fall planting dates just the spring and summer ones. But I do have Vegetables Typically Planted in a Fall Garden for MS: bush snap beans, beets, broccoli, cabbage, carrots, cauliflower, chard, chinese cabbage, kohlrabi, lettuce, mustard, onions, radishes, rutabagas, spinach, and turnips. If you to to msucares website, just do a search, it will connect you to the extension services and master gardeners, I think, for your region. This paper that I have shows all the MS counties and what region they are in and what the median date of first freeze in fall is, and last freeze in spring. I'm in zone 5, the first to freeze and the last to thaw. Sadly.
Laurie in Tupelo area

Bookmark   July 2, 2009 at 9:31PM
tsmith2579(7B)

I have a 1980s planting chart from H.G.Hastings which was in Birminghan and Atlanta. It gives a lot of information for the Southern garden. Send me your email address and I'll send you a scanned copy in PDF format.- Terry

Bookmark   July 3, 2009 at 10:29PM
More Discussions
Avocats fiscalistes Canada
Deux ans plus tard, votre client vous appelle. Il est...
MichelCoderre1
Anyone grow Almonds or English Walnuts?
I am near Baton Rouge, and thinking of planting some...
mmckey2
Was this past winter harsh in Miss/ Louisiana?
You guys are about as southern as possible, but did...
poaky1
Planting a Live Oak
Hi... I'm new to the forum, and I hope you welcome...
nolawed
Ligularia
I live in North Louisiana (zone 8a). I would like to...
savannaht
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™