Source for Compost near Baton Rouge

kbecalamity(Z 9 LA)July 27, 2005

I am about to start large new beds for rose gardens. Would like to find the best compost I can buy at the best price. Anyone know where I might find good compost within 100 miles of Baton Rouge?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Louisiana_botanist(8 Baton RougeLA)

I always get my bulk soils from Nature's Best Organics Soil Center (9500 Perkins Rd - 766-1446) located between the Perkins/Bluebonnet intersection and Louisiana Nursery. Last 15 cubic yards ran me approx $28.00 per cubic yard for the garden mix and around $30.00 per cubic yard for the compost plus about a $30.00 delivery fee. Now if you have a pickup truck instead of a Jeep (If I had only known back in Atlanta), you can save the delivery fee and get the soil as you need it.

Jim Stone on Florida Blvd (13751 Florida Blvd) (heading towards Denham Springs) also has bulk soils/compost/mulch besides rock. I buy my rock and flagstone here. Good prices for south Louisiana and good product.

I've seen a few other places around BR, but don't recall where at present. You can see one place on the north side of I-12 heading out of BR. Never been there.

There is a place in Lafayette which gives out FREE mulch and compost. They don't deliver, but if you are interested, I'll get directions and put on the forum.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jim Stone Company

Bookmark   July 28, 2005 at 10:37AM
kbecalamity(Z 9 LA)

Thanks so much Louisiana Botanist. Free mulch and compost sounds reallllly great. I have a great truck and trailer. Directions and a phone number would be great. I will also go by Nature's Best and check them out. Jim Stone Co, I am familiar with. Thanks for the comments.

Bookmark   July 30, 2005 at 9:37AM
Louisiana_botanist(8 Baton RougeLA)

I will be baking in Yuma, Arizona for the next three weeks doing endangered species surveys. At least the temperatures should be below 115 degrees F with little humidity. I'll get the directions to the place in Lafayette and relate to you when I return to BR in late August.

The link below may be the company my neighbor was talking about. The website mentions free compost available to the public.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lafayette Utilities System

Bookmark   July 30, 2005 at 9:27PM
kbecalamity(Z 9 LA)

Thanks again. The link to LUS had the directions and phone number. Good luck in Yuma. Been there and done that.

Bookmark   July 30, 2005 at 10:33PM
More Discussions
When to prune live oak
Hi everyone. I need to prune a live oak to clear the...
jon2412
Has anybody else seen purple dragonflies?
Hi! I was drinking my coffee by the koi pond this morning...
taffyj
Planting a Live Oak
Hi... I'm new to the forum, and I hope you welcome...
nolawed
Weed Control New Lawn
Hello! I planted a centipede lawn from seed at the...
BrittWave1
Lake Charles fruit/citrus trees
Hi all, I'm in Lake Charles (zone 9). I am in the process...
rockydog101
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™