reblooming in zone 4

alyciaadamo(3/4)June 15, 2012

I just read that reblooming irises "DIE" in my zone 4? Does that mean they will not come back the following year? If this is so, I have some, what can I do to make sure they come back next year? I just bought and planted all my irses last year so I am a total newbie at this.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hosenemesis(SoCal Sunset 19 USDA 8b)

No, they will not die. Your irises are safe!

Reblooming irises have bloom stalks more than once a season. In warm places like California, some irises bloom from March to November over and over again. Some bloom twice a season, in spring and in fall. Reblooming irises are marked as such- "re". I grow Total Recall and Recurring Dream, and they rebloom. It's a genetic trait. They can be killed in your climate when they try to put up bloom stalks in the fall and get cut down by cold weather. Try not to buy irises marked "re."

Regular non-reblooming tall bearded irises don't have that problem. They will store up energy all summer and fall and bloom again in the spring.

In both cases, the mother plant stops blooming, but produces baby rhizomes that bloom the next spring. So technically it is not the same plant that blooms year after year, it is new plants that grow off of the original.
Renee

Here is a link that might be useful: REblooming Iris Society

Bookmark   June 15, 2012 at 12:01PM
aseedisapromise

I have several reblooming iris because when I bought them I didn't know that I should be avoiding them, and I tended to pick things by color and form rather than growth habit. I haven't had any die on me, at least not entirely. I haven't had any rebloom, but I am just learning about them and I think there are a couple of ways reblooming happens, and this might make a difference in performance in a short season zone. But if you planted your iris last year, and they are still around this year, then you can see that they don't "die", and you'll be fine. Just see what happens over time.

Here is a link that might be useful: Minnesota rebloomers

Bookmark   June 16, 2012 at 1:39PM
hosenemesis(SoCal Sunset 19 USDA 8b)

Sorry, I think I misread your post. Ignore my comment!
Renee

Bookmark   June 16, 2012 at 3:18PM
aseedisapromise

Oh, I don't know. I think your link had some good info under the "culture" heading that was good to look at.

Bookmark   June 16, 2012 at 11:01PM
aquawise(zone 4 Utah)

I am in zone 4 here in the mountians of Utah. I have some rebloomers. They try to rebloom around October. At that time of year Old Man Frost gets the buds, The Plants do not Die just the buds. Each spring they bloom thee hearts out. Never had the die. I say not to worry they survive!

Bookmark   June 17, 2012 at 12:22AM
More Discussions
Maybe Triple Your Pleasure?
I was so pleased by the ample rebloom I got from Double...
harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
Is this Immortality?
I already posted a question about this Iris (see 'Iris...
lydia1959
Bottle Rocket
Pretty Tall Bearded from last years bloom, Crossed...
criris_z8
help with my bearded irises
About 2 years ago I moved. Not wanting to leave my...
badjar
Do you mulch Iris Bed for winter?
I replanted all my iris after the beard iris borer...
redsun9
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™