Hydrangeas and lots of shade

rouge21_gw(5)November 4, 2012

I am contemplating a larger plant or shrub for the very back corner which due to the large tree in behind and the proximity of the cedar hedge on the side gets very litte (no?) direct sun. Are there any hydrangeas that will flower well in such an aspect?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luis_pr

Hydrangeas can grow and bloom well even if they do not get direct sunlight. They will bloom best if they get several hours of sun though. However, if there is bright indirect light, H. macrophylla produces nice blooms. I have a few mac's and arborescens on a north facing wall where they get no sun and others where they get some sun in the summer. Both bloom well.

The area in your picture seems bright enough, so I would try some. Glyn Church recommends these mac's for shade: Immaculata, Marechal Foch, Mme. Travouillon, Parzifal, Quadricolor and Sister Therese.

Bookmark   November 4, 2012 at 4:48PM
rouge21_gw(5)

It isn't as bright as you might think luis_pr.

What about Hydrangea quercifolia ('Snowflake'/'Snow Queen')? I understand quercifolia are able to do well ie flower in (lots of) shade.

Bookmark   November 11, 2012 at 6:02PM
luis_pr

Oakleaf hydrangea did not perform well (bloomage wise) for me when the shrub was planted near the drip line of a large tree. I re-read Glyn Church again and found this quote referring to oakleaf hydrangeas: best grown in a sunny site as too much shade will supress the bush and reduce the number of flowers but, a morsel of shade will be fine in hot climates.

Direct sun is not necessary but if you really think this location is very shady then consider (1) planting one shrub to experiment, (2) raise the canopy of the tree or lower the hedge to see if that helps or (2) try other plants. If you choose mopheads, make sure they will be fine in your zone or get reblooming ones.

Bookmark   November 11, 2012 at 11:22PM
rouge21_gw(5)

Good suggestions 'luis'...thank you. Quantifying shade is so difficult isnt it? And I do think that I will need to experiment re those plants that are not true heavy shade plants. One never knows until one tries.

(I need a strike of lightning or two to thin out that tree at the back ;))

Bookmark   November 12, 2012 at 5:39AM
More Discussions
Hydrangeas in wet soil
I have an empty area beside our air conditioning unit...
ryank817
Hydrangea has never bloomed
Hi everyone, I purchased three Forever and Ever hydrangeas...
stridn
Propogating Hydrangea
Hi, My neighbors have just put up a 6 foot high fence...
Jon
Hydrangea Blooms
A young macrophylla bloom. Post your pics!
catkin
New 2015 hydrangea cultivars?
Anybody looking into what's coming in 2015. I thought...
plumism
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™