planting mix goof?

letsharmonize(USDA 5/2B Western)July 31, 2009

i think i goofed, but would appreciate some feedback. i bought several bags of something called "landscape mix" from lowes and have used it as soil to transplant many plants, including hibiscus, geranium, portulaca, coneflower. i've noticed even with fertilizing, that the plants aren't thriving, especially the hibiscus. could this be the reason?

thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mrskjun(9)

From what I've read, it sounds like landscape mix might dry out pretty quickly, it's meant to amend clay type soils. You might want to add some regular topsoil to it. I'm no expert, so you might want to ck with the Soil, Compost and Mulch forum.

Bookmark   August 4, 2009 at 7:38AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donnabaskets(Zone 8a, Central MS)

If you are using this in pots, then yes, you have made a mistake. As a general rule, you never want to use anything in pots that has the word "soil" in its name. Potting mixes are light and fluffy even after repeated waterings. This allows plant roots to move easily, to breathe, and keeps water draining to the roots don't rot. When you put soil, topsoil, soil amendments, even potting soil into pots, it will rapidly become so heavy that your plants will literally smother. Dump what you have into your flower beds. It will probably do some good there. Then replace with a good quality potting MIX.

The one exception to this rule might be homemade compost. I read all the time about the british using compost in their pots. What I don't know is if this is an english word for potting mix or if it really is compost. I have mixed my compost into potting mixes with good results in the past, but have never used it in pots "full strength".

Bookmark   August 4, 2009 at 12:29PM
More Discussions
Has anybody else seen purple dragonflies?
Hi! I was drinking my coffee by the koi pond this morning...
taffyj
Ground cover
I need a good ground cover that can be walk on.I thought...
jim2k
Northeast Mississippi Gardeners
Anyone here from Booneville/Tupelo area ? Jenkins
Jenkins
Any awesome nurseries near New Orleans???
In about a week, I will be going to New Orleans. Even...
LullabyF360
Ligularia
I live in North Louisiana (zone 8a). I would like to...
savannaht
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™