planting mix goof?

letsharmonize(USDA 5/2B Western)July 31, 2009

i think i goofed, but would appreciate some feedback. i bought several bags of something called "landscape mix" from lowes and have used it as soil to transplant many plants, including hibiscus, geranium, portulaca, coneflower. i've noticed even with fertilizing, that the plants aren't thriving, especially the hibiscus. could this be the reason?

thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mrskjun(9)

From what I've read, it sounds like landscape mix might dry out pretty quickly, it's meant to amend clay type soils. You might want to add some regular topsoil to it. I'm no expert, so you might want to ck with the Soil, Compost and Mulch forum.

Bookmark   August 4, 2009 at 7:38AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donnabaskets(Zone 8a, Central MS)

If you are using this in pots, then yes, you have made a mistake. As a general rule, you never want to use anything in pots that has the word "soil" in its name. Potting mixes are light and fluffy even after repeated waterings. This allows plant roots to move easily, to breathe, and keeps water draining to the roots don't rot. When you put soil, topsoil, soil amendments, even potting soil into pots, it will rapidly become so heavy that your plants will literally smother. Dump what you have into your flower beds. It will probably do some good there. Then replace with a good quality potting MIX.

The one exception to this rule might be homemade compost. I read all the time about the british using compost in their pots. What I don't know is if this is an english word for potting mix or if it really is compost. I have mixed my compost into potting mixes with good results in the past, but have never used it in pots "full strength".

Bookmark   August 4, 2009 at 12:29PM
More Discussions
Was this past winter harsh in Miss/ Louisiana?
You guys are about as southern as possible, but did...
poaky1
Trying to find a user in Mississippi...
I don't know if this is the appropriate place to post...
queenb
Growing up in La - small banana smelling flower?
Can anyone name the creamy yellow flower that smelling...
jo_in_tx
blueberry or blackberry ? (or muscadine?)
hi all i am in Southern Louisiana, outside of NOLA i...
greenman62
Do your snaps bloom in winter?
Hi, folks. It's pansy planting time here, and as I...
donnabaskets
Sponsored Products
Cactus! Tea or Sugar Sachet Holder by Alessi
$66.00 | Lumens
&'Costa | Bambu 3 Light Pendant
YLighting
Colorful Flowers Lamp
$213.40 | Bellacor
Outdoor Lighting. Twin Head Bird of Paradise Bronze Solar LED Path Light
$29.97 | Home Depot
Empire Tan Nautical On Cream Lamp Shade 9x16x12 (Spider)
$89.91 | Lamps Plus
Furniture of America Classie Natural Toned Bookshelf - IDF-AC125
$289.99 | Hayneedle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™