Best time to transplant Pine Tree Seedling?

gooup(z9, LA)July 11, 2011

My son and i picked a pine tree from the Cub Scout camp in Picayune, MS and would like to transplant it into a container or the ground here in Houma, Louisiana.

The seedling is currently in a bottle of water and is doing quite well. All the roots are intact and the tree seems to be thriving.

Photo of seedling: http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/246/photo1pom.jpg

Does anyone have any experience in this? The soil in Mississippi was sandy and orange-ish. Here, of course, the soil is obviously much different.

Any tips?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wisner_gw wisner

I would go ahead and try to put it in a pot or in the ground. I don't think it will last long in water. Firm the soil good around it and keep it well watered.

Bookmark   July 12, 2011 at 9:52PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
genecolin(Zone 9, LA)

Before you plant it in the ground, be sure you want it there. Pine trees are forest trees and do well in such an environment. If you have a large piece of property to put it on that's fine. Pine trees should not be planted near a home or you will suffer the consequences later. They can and will destroy your sewer system and tend to snap off in high winds. I had two removed last year that were planted by the previous owners. Roots had traveled over 80' to reach the sewer pipe and invade them. It's also very costly to have them removed, at least 600 dollars a tree. Another consideration are the local laws concerning the removing of mature trees with in the city limits. Yes I'm talking about Houma.
"gene"

Bookmark   July 15, 2011 at 10:01AM
More Discussions
Is it time to plant Four O'Clock seeds?
I bought a package of mixed color seeds that I want...
janet_la
Looking for Gardeners in the NE
Looking for gardeners that live in Northeast Louisiana,...
sebastian
blueberry or blackberry ? (or muscadine?)
hi all i am in Southern Louisiana, outside of NOLA i...
greenman62
Northeast Mississippi Gardeners
Anyone here from Booneville/Tupelo area ? Jenkins
Jenkins
Planting a Live Oak
Hi... I'm new to the forum, and I hope you welcome...
nolawed
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™