Privacy screening plants

alexandra_gardenerJuly 14, 2006

I have a somewhat shady spot in my backyard, where the fence is not too high. I had bamboo growing there, which was great for privacy, but just took over and was so hard to control. I just removed it. I"d like to put something else there that is tall, provides privacy, and maybe deters intruders from jumping over the fence, without being too intrusive--is that a tall order or what?!

Any suggestions are welcome.

I was thinking of Pampas grass, italian cypress, or putting up some trellises and growing bougainvillea. I don't know if any of those plants do well without full sun, and not sure if Pampas is very invasive or not.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
natal(Louisiana 8b)

I have a similar situation, but my location is in full sun.

Pampas will definitely deter fence jumpers. I think it looks great along the roadside. I wouldn't want it on a small city lot.

How about Ligustrum japonicum (wax leaf ligustrum)? It grows relatively fast in sun or shade and is easily trained as a multi-trunked small tree.

Bookmark   July 14, 2006 at 2:37PM
sdogwood(9)

I second Ligustrum. We planted a row and they are perfect screens. good luck!

Bookmark   July 14, 2006 at 5:48PM
pjames(8/LA)

I used viburnum around my swimming pool. A couple are 10 ft high already and 7 or 8 ft wide. I put some other plants in between as well like loripeltum which did well also.

I have a similar problem on one side of my yard. The privacy fence is very old and I don't want to replace it. So I'm thinking of putting chicken wire along the metal posts and getting confederate jasmine to grow up the wire. I have a trellis of it around my pool and it gets very thick and the scent of the blossoms is great. Just some ideas.

Bookmark   July 16, 2006 at 11:51AM
natal(Louisiana 8b)

Pjames, I'm sure I've seen viburnum, but I don't know where. I just checked it out on Floridata and it sounds perfect for what I need. How big were the ones you planted and how long did it take them to grow to 10 feet?

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: viburnum

Bookmark   July 16, 2006 at 12:21PM
More Discussions
Beets and Chard are Falling Over
Hello All, I've noticed recently that my beets and...
jshphoto
Looking for Gardeners in the NE
Looking for gardeners that live in Northeast Louisiana,...
sebastian
Planting a Live Oak
Hi... I'm new to the forum, and I hope you welcome...
nolawed
Lake Charles fruit/citrus trees
Hi all, I'm in Lake Charles (zone 9). I am in the process...
rockydog101
Has anybody else seen purple dragonflies?
Hi! I was drinking my coffee by the koi pond this morning...
taffyj
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™