Endless Summer hit by freeze

pattyokieNovember 15, 2013

I have two Endless Summer Hydrangeas that were hit by our recent freeze & now have ugly, freeze-burned leaves hanging down. I want to get that off but I am afraid to prune them back for fear of losing next springs blooms. Is there a formula?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hcmcdole(z7)

Cut the leaves off or wait for them to drop on their own.

Bookmark   November 15, 2013 at 6:14PM
luis_pr

If you are panicky about that, consider cutting the leaf itself about an inch or two from where the leaf connects to the stem. Less if you want. The part left will, in time, disintegrate on its own by Spring. It is a similar approach to the one used when deadheading blooms this time of the year.

We recently had a cold spell too that, I originally thought was going to turn the leaves to mush but, eh, I saw no damage to any hydrangea leaves. Now temps are heading north to the 80s and low in the 70s... Sigh.... No wonder hydrangeas stay "awake" so late over here. Going dormant over here must be like trying to sleep with someone snoring nearby. :o)

Luis

Here is a link that might be useful: Pruning and deadheading info

Bookmark   November 15, 2013 at 11:17PM
pattyokie

Thank you so much. I have an mophead that has never been bothered by the cold, so this was new to me. Love hydrangeas.

Bookmark   November 16, 2013 at 10:13AM
pattyokie

To clarify: I just strip off the frozen leaves & don't trim back any of the branches?

Bookmark   November 16, 2013 at 4:25PM
luis_pr

That or you could even leave the leaves on the plant. That is what I usually do since the leaves and blooms "disintegrate" during the winter months. However, I do not recommend leaving the leaves on the shrub thru winter if the plant's leaves have a lot of fungal issues; in that case, you should dispose of the leaves early and throw them in the trash (not in a compost pile)

Bookmark   November 16, 2013 at 6:07PM
lsimms(6a-6bMA)

pattyokie,

"I have an mophead that has never been bothered by the cold, so this was new to me."

You know, that's how ES was discovered. You might have another million dollar plant in your yard. And I'm not kidding.

Bookmark   November 17, 2013 at 2:54AM
More Discussions
Invincibelle� Spirit II Hydrangea arborescens
Does anyone know if the new Invincebelle Spirit Hydrangeas...
teri55
Can I prune hydrangeas and loropetalum now??
So we have some hydrangeas (blue and purple flowers...
hiddenspring
Need help with hydrangea companions
Hello. I am putting in a new bed this Spring. It is...
suz9601
What Hydrangea to grow in full sun
Hi, I'm a total newbie to gardening. I want to plant...
Kachana
So Cal Hydrangeas growth is stunt
Hi, I live about 3 miles from the beach in Southern...
nikole220
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™