Weed Control New Lawn

BrittWave1(2)July 21, 2014

Hello!

I planted a centipede lawn from seed at the end of May. I tilled, added turf mix, and seeded and fertilized. I have a pretty nice lawn, but a lot of weeds (maybe 35-40% weeds). That said, my lawn looks like a lawn. My question is, how do I approach weed control. Do I let the centipede slowly kill it, re-seeding for the next few seasons. Do I kill the weeds now, creating lots of patches not filled in (worry about soil erosion here)? Do I weed and feed next Spring (hurting my ability to re-seed then)?

I'm in New Orleans. Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Evenie

It's awfully hot and wet right now for weed control. They may have chemicals these days that don't burn or break down in extreme temperatures, but it's been raining so much it's almost a moot point. Everything would wash right down the storm drain. I would wait until next March and do the Weed-and-Feed thing. There's no sense in burning a lawn that you just planted.

Bookmark   July 22, 2014 at 5:02PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
klem1

Your first step is to identify the weeds. One size does not fit all when it comes to weed control. Going foward you probly should use sprigs or plugs instead of seed to fill in while useing chemicals on the lawn.
Atrazine and hormone-type herbicides such as 2,4-D and MCPP can be used to control most broadleaved weeds including clover, chickweed, henbit and thistle. Herbicides should be applied in the fall or winter before these weeds mature.
Crabgrass and other summer annuals are most effectively controlled with preemerge herbicides applied in early spring before the weeds emerge. Products containing benefin, DCPA, bensulide or simazine can be effectively used for crabgrass control when applied according to label instructions.

Bookmark   July 22, 2014 at 5:26PM
More Discussions
looking for local source of native azaleas
Hi, Does anyone know of any sources for native azaleas...
kchd
Night blooming jasmine TREE
not a vine but tree. does anyone have any information...
energy_rater_la
Jacaranda Mimosifolia
Anyone in south Louisiana growing this tree in the...
lac1361
Any awesome nurseries near New Orleans???
In about a week, I will be going to New Orleans. Even...
LullabyF360
When to prune live oak
Hi everyone. I need to prune a live oak to clear the...
jon2412
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™