Vanilla strawb and Endless summer

lois(PA Zone 6)November 10, 2012

Some pictures from earlier in the fall.

Vanilla strawberry bloomed for a really long time and I loved the cream turning slowly to dusty pink.

Also loved the drama of the aging endless summer blooms as they go bicolor maroon and lime.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Cher(6 SW OH)

Beautiful Lois. You got some great color out of yours this year.
Cher

Bookmark   November 10, 2012 at 7:38PM
ireena_7

Vanilla Fraise -

July -

October -

Ireena

Bookmark   November 28, 2012 at 2:03PM
ladyrose65

Luv the pictures here. I about to order the Vanilla Strawberry and Paul Thirion from Jungs Seeds. These pictures convinced me to go ahead and order.

Bookmark   January 9, 2013 at 11:04PM
suebot(6CT)

Gorgeous! Absolutely spectacular. I have been absent for the past few years and have missed the forum and my friends. But I am now back! Are you pleased with Vanilla Strawberry and Endless Summer all around?

suebot in CT

Bookmark   January 22, 2013 at 1:35PM
darobi2459(5)

My vanilla strawberry almost died this past summer, not sure if it will make it through the winter yet :( It was looking great and than all the sudden one yellow leaf than all yellow leafs. Dug it up and cut it back pretty good. Think my soil was the problem when we went into drought here this summer. To much clay I think. Other plants in the same location did the same thing.

Bookmark   February 15, 2013 at 1:24AM
luis_pr(7b/8a Hurst, TX)

I hope it comes back; stressed out plants and 1-yr old plants have been leafing out as late as May so if there is no leafout by then, you can dispose of it. Alternatively, 2-3 weeks after your date of last frost, you can prune the stems from the top downwards in 1" or 2" increments until you see green. That does not tell you the condition of the roots but it lets you know if there will be leaf out from the stems. Keep the soil moist, not wet. Keep it well mulched too with 3-4" of the stuff and take it easy on the fertilizers.

Luis

PS - how much are they asking for VS's nowadays?

Bookmark   February 15, 2013 at 10:48AM
darobi2459(5)

thanks for the tips Luis :) I got mine in a 3 gallon for $25 i think. pretty good price i thought it has a real nice thick base. when i did cut it back it did still have green, but the root system was not looking so good.

Bookmark   February 15, 2013 at 9:58PM
luis_pr(7b/8a Hurst, TX)

Try adding some bone meal or some source of phosphorus. It is good for roots. I also add mycorrhizal fungi to sick looking plants (available on organic minded plant nurseries).

Bookmark   February 16, 2013 at 12:58AM
More Discussions
New addition
New hydrangea I just picked up at Lowes
emrogers
Deer resistant hydrangea?
Hello! I am looking to replace some shrubs this spring...
chelseahasrouni
Should I prune this hydrangea?
It came in a small 4" pot. I have transplanted...
cakbu z9 CA
Ericaceous compost for hydrangea
I have grown hydrangeas in containers since last summer....
jchad214
When to plant new hydrangeas? Zone 7
Hello! I had a new patio put in this fall and want...
Lrw2a
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™