Looking For A Particular Climbing Lima

BlueJay-77(5)February 17, 2013

Back in the 1980's a member of the Seed Savers Exchange sent me a Lima called Butterscotch Lima. It was patterend just like the Christmas lima, and the seed was approximately the same size, except the markings on the seed was a beautiful burnt orange coloring. Thus the name Butterscotch. No one in SSE's annual yearbook lists the variety anymore, and I've spent some time making a database of SSE's bean accessions. My list contains over 2,500 of SSE's beans, and not a single lima named Butterscotch. Just thought I would ask here just in case anyone grows a lima or butterbean that might fit this description.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
drloyd

Russ, this reminds me of Golden Lima. It was once thought to be a cross between a Lima and a common bean. They are butterscotch colored and look like a Lima but they are a common bean. Very fine shelly and dry bean. The version that I grow is called Dolloff. - Dick

Bookmark   February 17, 2013 at 6:21PM
BlueJay-77(5)

Hi Dr.Lloyd, I have grown the Golden Lima also back in the 80's and your correct Golden Lima is a P. Vulgaris. The bean I had was large seeded and very flattened like Christmas and has the same markings but a real rich burnt orange coloring of the markings. It may even be possible that someone had sent me a P. Lunatis outcross of that coloring, and I have simply forgotten. When I look into the history portion of the SSE online yearbook. I don't find a listing that Butterscotch Lima was ever listed by anyone.

Bookmark   March 4, 2013 at 11:40AM
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada

Hi Russ, did they look anything like Hopi Yellow or Hopi Orange limas?

Annette

Bookmark   March 4, 2013 at 12:04PM
More Discussions
Catjang/Brow Bean
I saw an interesting Vigna offered on eBay the other...
nightbloomincereus 7A noVA
Marvel of Venice
I'd like to try a couple of plants of the yellow pole...
barbge
Shelly Beans
I was just discussing an heirloom bean, "Ma Williams",...
zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
A roll call, who is still here and staying after the "upgrade"?
Harry are you still here? I hope so! You have always...
wertach zone 7-B SC
What does "as soon as soil can be worked" really mean?
I know it might be a dumb question to ask because the...
beesneeds
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™