Perennial Climbing Vines for 2 trellises

lar11833(8)July 27, 2006

I have clematis' planted on those two trellises which are side by side and in full sun. They flower a little early in the spring as the weather gets hotter they do nothing. I would like suggestions on other perennial vines I could plant that would bloom the entire summer. These trellises are tall and well supported. I do not want a Passion flower.

Thank you all for your input.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
natal(Louisiana 8b)

Mexican Flame vine blooms all summer if it gets enough sun.

Bookmark   July 27, 2006 at 7:50PM
greenelbows1(z9--so LA)

I got an Akebia this spring which is supposed to flower at least a little all year, but as is usually the case with vines (and many other plants!) it's spending its energy growing so far. Also have at various times planted climbing roses--some do very well, some need to be sprayed to do well. Need to do some research. I can see why you wouldn't want passifloras as the caterpillars really chew 'em up, but the butterflies sure are nice! Of course there are tender perennial/annual vines like Thunbergia and Ipomoea (morningglory, moonvine, several others). Oh, and Hyacinth Bean--forget its name--someone on another forum was saying how pleased she was with her white flowered one, which even has white pods!

Bookmark   July 29, 2006 at 11:21PM
natal(Louisiana 8b)

Speaking of passiflora, there's some entertwined with the Mexican Flame vine in the photo above. I grow 'em specifically for the Gulf Fritillaries.

Bookmark   July 30, 2006 at 2:50PM
More Discussions
Avocats fiscalistes Canada
Deux ans plus tard, votre client vous appelle. Il est...
MichelCoderre1
How to get rid of elephant ears?
I know these can be really nice plants(and I'm sure...
Gumbo
Anyone grow Almonds or English Walnuts?
I am near Baton Rouge, and thinking of planting some...
mmckey2
Planting a Live Oak
Hi... I'm new to the forum, and I hope you welcome...
nolawed
Full Sun Shrubs
I have tried two years in a row to get some shrubs...
daviddsims
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™