How fast will cuttings grow?

Lilyfinch z7 mid tnNovember 5, 2009

I was considering taking cuttings from my dwarf peegee to make a hedge, (in the spring of course). I wonder how large i can expect the cuttings to get by august or so? I will keep them in pots till they are strong enough (i have a bulldog who would trample them otherwise). If anyone has any advice for my hedge project let me know! I plan on alternating peegees and roses. thank you!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
madeyna(7/8)

Since no one is answering I,ll take a stab at it. I noticed a web sight that sells that years cuttings is advertising them to be at least four inchs height. I bought a hydrangea(Glowing Embers) that was a this season cutting and its now about 10/12 inchs high. But I think alot depends on the growth habit of the plant. I purchased another hydrangea plant(Forever&Ever) as a cutting this year and its only grown a few inchs this whole season.

Bookmark   November 11, 2009 at 12:01PM
owbist(6A-Niagara, Ont)

The greenhouse I drove for a few years back grew thousands. By the fall they had reached perhaps 6 to 7 inches. The variation came in the branching rather than height. In the fall they were de-leafed and sorted from one bloom to five blooms and over and stored in coolers at 39 degrees Fahrenheit. Once they were returned to the warmth of the greenhouse after Christmas they grew fantastic. The five bloom and above reached at least 2 feet high by the shipping time.

Today while walking I saw 2 Nikko Blue Hydrangeas in gallon pots out for the garbage man, I took those home in a hurry. They'll look just dandy next spring I hope.

Bookmark   November 12, 2009 at 10:05PM
Lilyfinch z7 mid tn

Thank you both for your help, i think they will grow a little too slow for what i need them for. Im sure i can find them pretty cheap for my needs! Thanks!

Bookmark   November 14, 2009 at 9:36AM
More Discussions
Are these stems diseased?
Are These little blackish spots on the stems normal...
oberci
Everlasting series
I'm a grower in RI and tried the Everlasting series...
theplayer
Little Lime and Limelight Hydrangea
Both hydrangeas have (some) branches that are somewhat...
gardenbug
Container size for hydrangea
I have a landscape plan made for my yard by a pro who...
cakbu
Invincibelle� Spirit II Hydrangea arborescens
Does anyone know if the new Invincebelle Spirit Hydrangeas...
teri55
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™