Plum tree losing leaves

lisa455(z9 LA)July 2, 2004

On a newly planted plum tree, it has been slowly losing its leaves for the past few weeks. The last ones fell off today, but the branches are still green. It has been raining for weeks and my back yard has become virtually a swamp. Is the plum tree stressed from all the water and will recover or is it going to croak? Is there anything I should do other than pray for no more rain - i.e. fertilize? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
live_oak_lady(Zone 9)

I don't think you should fertilize; it will just stress the tree more. If it is newly planted, perhaps you could lift it higher. A lot of our things are suffering with too much water.
I lost a purple plum tree the year that Hurricane Lili and that Tropical Storm before her came through here. Too much water in too short a time.
I would try elevating the tree.

Bookmark   July 2, 2004 at 9:58PM
greenelbows(z9--so LA)

Excellent advise. We used to have a plum that did very well until we had an extra wet summer and it croaked. It might be worth it to build up a berm for such things. Sometimes you'll read you should build a raised bed, but too often the timbers or whatever you use to edge it hold in the water and what you create is a giant bathtub. Drainage is really a problem in years like this.

Bookmark   July 3, 2004 at 11:49PM
bevclen_windstream_net

I planted a small plum tree last summer. It made it through the winter fine but this summer the leaves are curling up as if it gets no water. In other words, they are dry and crispy and shot thru with holes. We are in a semi drought here in south Georgis so I water every few days. I see no insects other than a friendly yellow spider. I am to the point of digging it up and potting for a year. Now the leaves are starting to go limp and drop off. Help!

Bookmark   June 20, 2011 at 10:43AM
More Discussions
Need help for a massive flowerbed
Hi. I am planting a whole new flower bed in the front...
sjpaddy23
Lake Charles fruit/citrus trees
Hi all, I'm in Lake Charles (zone 9). I am in the process...
rockydog101
HOSTA HELP B.R. LOUISIANA
This will be my first year planting hostas so you could...
bcurry1
Jacaranda Mimosifolia
Anyone in south Louisiana growing this tree in the...
lac1361
Night blooming jasmine TREE
not a vine but tree. does anyone have any information...
energy_rater_la
Sponsored Products
Awie Room Divider - GR-AWD111
$449.19 | Hayneedle
Shop Vac Wet and Dry Vacuum with Detachable Blower
$199.00 | FRONTGATE
White Wood Chalk Block Set
$14.99 | zulily
Alameda Tea Leaves and Parchment Rectangular: 5 Ft. x 8 Ft. Rug
$493.20 | Bellacor
Fosters Point Planter With Hydrangea Poppy Spider Orchid
Beyond Stores
Crystal Laurel One-Light Console Lamp in Warm Silver Leaf Finish with Stylized F
Bellacor
Classic Filigree Hose Station
$179.00 | FRONTGATE
7.5ft Pre-Lit LED Dual Light Function Oakland Spruce Christmas Tree Multicolor -
$146.01 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™