What's your favorite snap bean?

donnabaskets(Zone 8a, Central MS)July 29, 2009

Hi, y'all. It's been one of those good news, bad news years. The good news is MOST things have done very well in my first veggie garden in ten years or more. I have had alot of fun with it. The bad news is the pole beans (LA purple pod snaps) were a wash out. They made beautiful vines, but I only got one small picking before our l00 degree June completely shut them down.

I am planning a fall garden and want to give beans another try. What bush or pole snap have you grown that is 1) TASTY and 2) productive? I appreciate the suggestions!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
natal(Louisiana 8b)

I've grown Roma II, Black Valentine, Purple Queen, and I think Provider. This year I'm going to try Festina.

Bookmark   July 30, 2009 at 1:30PM
donnabaskets(Zone 8a, Central MS)

Thanks, natal. Do you like any one of the four more than the others?

Bookmark   July 30, 2009 at 2:21PM
natal(Louisiana 8b)

Donna, to tell you the truth it's been about 4 years since I've grown beans. We used to love the Romas ... those are the flat Italian beans. I'm hoping the Festinas are as good as they sound. Check out the link and click on the PDF file. It'll give you a few more suggestions on page 5.

Here is a link that might be useful: LSU AgCenter veggie planting guide

Bookmark   July 30, 2009 at 4:38PM
donnabaskets(Zone 8a, Central MS)

Great link. Thanks, natal. I printed it out for my file.

Bookmark   July 31, 2009 at 4:44PM
wavygravy

I planted Chinese yard longs (noodle beans), Rattlesnake and Kentucky wonders. The yard long beans had a great taste, and were good producers until the weather got really hot and dry. Beans have a sweet taste. The rattlesnakes were ok, but the heat did them in as well. Of the three the KY. Wonders (pole Beans all three) is the only one still living and producing. So, I would have to say KY wonders

Bookmark   August 1, 2009 at 10:39AM
genecolin(Zone 9, LA)

Natal, I planted a bush bean which I think was Festinas or Festiva a couple of years age. They were describe as being the healthiest bean going. They were very good and very juicey. They snap real easy but so do the bushes. Harvest with care.

I noticed you mentioned black Valentine. How did they turn out. I'm planting them in my fall garden a few weeks from now. Thanks in advance for any info.

"gene"

Bookmark   August 13, 2009 at 8:38PM
natal(Louisiana 8b)

Gene, they must have been ok, because I grew them for a few years, lol. Sorry I can't give you more than that. And thanks for the heads up on the tender Festina plants.

Bookmark   August 14, 2009 at 11:22AM
More Discussions
Was this past winter harsh in Miss/ Louisiana?
You guys are about as southern as possible, but did...
poaky1
How to get rid of elephant ears?
I know these can be really nice plants(and I'm sure...
Gumbo
Beets and Chard are Falling Over
Hello All, I've noticed recently that my beets and...
jshphoto
When to prune live oak
Hi everyone. I need to prune a live oak to clear the...
jon2412
Any awesome nurseries near New Orleans???
In about a week, I will be going to New Orleans. Even...
LullabyF360
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™