Pink Elf French Hydrangea

char35November 7, 2009

I found two small hydrangea plants called Pink Elf Fr. Hydrangea. Can anyone tell me anything about them? Or, where I can find info. I would like to put them in a large pot for a while. I'm reworking the beds and thought I could leave them a pot with good soil for the winter until I find the right place for them. Is this a good or bad idea?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

Pink Elf is just a trade name for Hydrangea macrophylla 'Pia'. You can search under either of those names for more info. This is a dwarf form, rarely exceeding 3'x3', and is an excellent choice for containers. In zone 9, holding in a container overwinter will be fine. Make sure they have afternoon shade and even moisture. 'Pia' is one of the few pink flowered mopheads that retains its very pink coloring regardless of soil conditions.

Bookmark   November 8, 2009 at 9:10AM
ladywindsurfer(Z7 SE)

Sorry, must disagree with the marketing hyperbole about 'Pia' ('Pink Elf').
In my very acidic soil, they produce deep purple blooms each year. Attractive, to me, but certainly not pink, as advertised. They are of a short stature, maturing to about 3½-4 ft. tall.
Grown in a good potting mix, they will most likely produce pink flowers.

Bookmark   November 8, 2009 at 1:11PM
char35

Well. I potted one today! Need to get another pot tomorrow.
I'm wondering if the 2 hydrangeas that I planted some years ago, failed after a few years because of competition from oak tree and pine roots. The lighting seemed right and the first few years they were beautiful.

Bookmark   November 8, 2009 at 7:45PM
More Discussions
DEEP blue
When I was growing up my grandmother had big vigorous...
nonconformist_nymphette
What Hydrangea to grow in full sun
Hi, I'm a total newbie to gardening. I want to plant...
Kachana
Hydrangea Blooms
A young macrophylla bloom. Post your pics!
catkin
galls in dirt where to plant
Hi, Last summer I dug up a rose that had not been doing...
Brooks23
Invincibelle� Spirit II Hydrangea arborescens
Does anyone know if the new Invincebelle Spirit Hydrangeas...
teri55
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™