how far deadheading iris?

chueh(7B)June 14, 2008

Can anyone explain to me how deadheading prevents iris from going to seed? I just removed the dried-out spent iris flowers. It seems to me that even if I did not remove those dried-out flowers, they were already dried-out and would drop themselves eventually. Thus, how does this deadheading prevent the iris from going to seed? Is the iris still trying to form seeds while having the dried-out flowers? Perhaps, I did not do it right. Should I remove the spent flowers before they get dried-out. How soon should I deadhead it? How far do i deadhead it? Just the flower part, passing the bumpy part and cut it down to the top stem, or cutting down the stem but above any foliage? Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marvine(z7/8 GA)

I always remove the wilted flower becuase there are other buds that still haven't bloomed, plus, most blooms are double socketed which means another is going to bloom in the place of the one removed. When you remove a flower, there won't be a seed pod to form. I hybridize so I don't remove the flower where I have placed pollen - if successful, a pod will start to show in 7 to 10 days.

Bookmark   June 14, 2008 at 2:47PM
More Discussions
WANTED: Want any iris , daffodils tulips or lilies
If you are dividing your iris beds and have extra irises...
josephlee
Bottle Rocket
Pretty Tall Bearded from last years bloom, Crossed...
criris_z8
Seedling
Here is photo of an SDB I have been looking at out...
criris_z8
First Pseudata
This is the first pseudata (I. pseudacorus X I. ensata)...
eroctuse2
Moving iris
I have a large bed of Iris that I inherited. I have...
Beth1234
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™