Has anyone ever seen honey bees

gardnpondr(Zone 8)July 6, 2006

in the ground before? I have this hole in my yard under an oak out front that has bees in it. They are small bees and look like honey bees to me. DH said they don't build in the ground that it is hornets. I'm very allergic to stings so I've been keeping my distance but it sure does look like honey bees!!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Louisiana_botanist(8 Baton RougeLA)

I've seen lots of them. Actually I have a at least a hundred thousand between 8 colonies.

Below is a link to a jpeg of some of my Buckfast F1 hybrid honeybees from one of my colonies. Do the ones you have look similar? If not, they are likely some species of native bee/yellow jacket/hornet.

European and Russian honeybees do not typically use ground cavities.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   July 9, 2006 at 11:22AM
gardnpondr(Zone 8)

They are small from what I can tell at a distance I am afraid to get too close. My DH knows the difference so he's going to check it out for me and maybe he can get A LITTLE closer than I have been getting.....lol
thanx!

Bookmark   July 9, 2006 at 11:18PM
jim2k(mississippi)

they are yellow jackets try a little gas in the hole if that dosnt work you will need an expert.they do sting so be careful good luck jim

Bookmark   July 19, 2006 at 1:43PM
greenelbows1(z9--so LA)

While I wouldn't want yellow jackets too close to an area where we were active, I've never forgotten as a child watching yellow jackets clean out a nest of termites in an area behind the woodshed. They really have their place in the grand scheme of things!

Bookmark   July 21, 2006 at 3:39PM
gardnpondr(Zone 8)

It is yellow jackets!!!! I got up close enough to really see when they weren't stirred up and one came out of the hole and I could see the top of the nest down in there! I placed a rock there beside it so DH could gas them. I can't because I am highly allergic to this sort of things. IF it wasn't for that I would leave them alone but I am here by myself during the day and I can't have them biting me when I mow around there.
Thanx everyone!!! :)

Bookmark   July 22, 2006 at 2:51PM
lar11833(8)

I had the same thing happen and they weren't honey bees, they were wasps. My husband and son poured gasoline and burned them out. Then they dug into the hole and there were a zillion wasp eggs which they again burned out. It was not a pretty sight to see.

Bookmark   July 27, 2006 at 5:07PM
More Discussions
Northeast Mississippi Gardeners
Anyone here from Booneville/Tupelo area ? Jenkins
Jenkins
Was this past winter harsh in Miss/ Louisiana?
You guys are about as southern as possible, but did...
poaky1
How to get rid of elephant ears?
I know these can be really nice plants(and I'm sure...
Gumbo
Ground cover
I need a good ground cover that can be walk on.I thought...
jim2k
Night blooming jasmine TREE
not a vine but tree. does anyone have any information...
energy_rater_la
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™