'monrey' buttons'n'bows

nimcheeDecember 16, 2012

I have grown H. m. 'Monrey' (Buttons'N'Bows) alongside 'Harlequin' this year. Both have flowered and look identical. Are they the same?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luis_pr(7b/8a Hurst, TX)

I think they are the same. I once asked Hydrangeas Okus about that and they said they thought those two were same plant. If your are planning to order, I would choose based on price. The blooms look alike, both bloom on old wood and have similar height/width/zone requirements.

Bookmark   December 17, 2012 at 2:42PM
luis_pr(7b/8a Hurst, TX)

Okus=Plus

Bookmark   December 17, 2012 at 2:43PM
nimchee

Yes, I am now convinced they are the same. The fact that Monrovia has been able to register Buttons'n'Bows as a Trademark name makes a nonsense of the whole procedure. I guess the purpose is to enable a higher price to be charged for the Trademarked name.

Here is a link that might be useful: Heritage Hydrangeas

Bookmark   December 19, 2012 at 7:26PM
luis_pr(7b/8a Hurst, TX)

Ohhh, they would not do that... would they? Hee, hee, hee! Lord, oh lord. I hear you!

Bookmark   December 20, 2012 at 1:52AM
Springwood_Gardens(6B Pittsburgh)

You are all correct!

I've mentioned this before, but it's important to notice that as a grower, you can TRADEMARK a 'brand' name SANS any genetic similarities to other plants. The real differences occur in the US PATENT office. To summarize, if you want to be sure you're getting a unique plant, make sure it has a US Patent entry.

Ultimately, to this point it appears that most picotee-flowered plants are a PITA to get to flower in harsh climates. There simply have not been any breakthroughs here, so use at your own risk. (This filters all the way down to plants like Peppermint which do have a patent but carry only the guarantee of "might flower once with adequate protection").

Bookmark   January 6, 2013 at 6:16PM
More Discussions
Hydrangeas in wet soil
I have an empty area beside our air conditioning unit...
ryank817
Wanted: Big blooms in shade, Gulf Coast/Texas
Hi folks - I've been nursing a couple of ES hydrangeas...
cagoldbear
Hydrangea has never bloomed
Hi everyone, I purchased three Forever and Ever hydrangeas...
stridn
Zinfin Doll hydrangea
Hi, This is a new hydrangea or at least new to me....
Brooks23
Little Lime and Limelight Hydrangea
Both hydrangeas have (some) branches that are somewhat...
gardenbug
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™