Japanese hydrangeas?

rob_peace(VIC Aust)December 2, 2013

Last year I bought some hydrangeas discounted at the end of the season. The names on the printed labels seem to be Japanese but perhaps with errors? They are 'Hana Temani-double light pink', 'Komachi-lacecap pink' and 'May Kulyaku-double pink'. All three are double macrophyllas. A Japanese trading site lists 'Temari-Matsuri' a blue double similar in appearace except colour to my 'Hana Temani'. The site also lists 'Temari Temari', Komachi' and 'Maiku Jaku' but offers no information. The site is global.rakuten.com. I'd really love to know some more information about my mystery hydrangeas. Can anyone help?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luis_pr

It may be that the soil used by the wholesaler was acidic, which resulted in blue blooms and the plant was then labeled/described as " a blue XYZ'.

A Hana Temani would have been listed/called/described as Hana Temani double light blue in that scenario, for example. But when the soil that the wolesaler uses is neutral or lacks aluminum, the blooms turn pink instead so the wholesaler would list/call/describe the same plant as Hana Temani double light pink.

Bookmark   December 3, 2013 at 7:54AM
nimchee

Try www.heritagehydrangeas.com, they have a great online encyclopedia of hydrangeas with good info on the origin of all the best ones. You can check the names against their list of plant names to see all synonyms.

Here is a link that might be useful: Heritage Hydrangeas

Bookmark   December 6, 2013 at 1:43PM
rob_peace(VIC Aust)

Here are some pages which include beautiful photos of the same varieties I found. Mine are 1 and 3 in the first (blue) group and 11 in the second (pink) group. If you click on the image, a page for each variety opens. The variety name appears in roman script in the address bar of the browser. I still dont now how these plants came to be in my local garden centre, but I'm very pleased to have them! There are some stunning other hydrangeas on these pages, too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hydrangeas in Japan

Bookmark   January 6, 2014 at 8:08PM
rob_peace(VIC Aust)

I forgot to mention, if you copy and paste the address into google as a search, you are offered 'google tanslation' versions of the site. It seems that Kamo Iris Gardens, Japan, has a hydrangea breeding programme and my local discoveries were raised there. It even explains that Temari-Temari was originally named Hana Temari, which was the label (mispelled Hana Temani) on one of my plants. The plant was re-named after its initial release. I think Hana Temari is possibly a registered name for a manga character!

Bookmark   January 8, 2014 at 4:07AM
More Discussions
How are those limelight hedges looking? (pic)
I know a lot of us were planting limelight hedges this...
joannemb
Annabelle hydrangea
Well, it's approaching January & I'm thinking spring....
Sally6340
galls in dirt where to plant
Hi, Last summer I dug up a rose that had not been doing...
Brooks23
Invincibelle� Spirit II Hydrangea arborescens
Does anyone know if the new Invincebelle Spirit Hydrangeas...
teri55
Little Lime and Limelight Hydrangea
Both hydrangeas have (some) branches that are somewhat...
gardenbug
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™