Should I deadhead irises?

edweather(Zone 5a/b Central NY)June 29, 2013

Irises finished blooming a couple of weeks ago. Should I remove the old stalk? Thanks. Ed

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hosenemesis(SoCal Sunset 19 USDA 8b)

Yes, the foliage looks prettier without it. You can cut it off right at the base of the rhizome, since that rhizome will not bloom again it needs no foliage.

Bookmark   June 29, 2013 at 5:27PM
edweather(Zone 5a/b Central NY)

hosenemesis thanks. Should I just cut off the stalk or cut the whole thing off including the leaves too. I think I hear you saying to cut everything off, but won't leaving the leaves help to generate next years new rhizomes? Thanks. Ed

Bookmark   June 30, 2013 at 8:52PM
hosenemesis(SoCal Sunset 19 USDA 8b)

If there are already new green plants growing off of the rhizome just cut the stalk, leaves and all, off of the mother rhizome that has already bloomed. If there are no new plants growing off of it yet, I would leave the leaves on to see if new plants sprout. The problem is that when you cut the top of the stalk off water can get inside and rot the rhizome. I have never had this happen, but other people report that it happens in their climate.
Renee

Bookmark   July 1, 2013 at 10:46PM
edweather(Zone 5a/b Central NY)

Thanks good suggestion. I think I'm more likely to lose the rhizome to rot due to slugs gnawing at it from ground level, than water entering the stalk, but I'll keep an eye on it. Thanks again. Ed.

Bookmark   July 2, 2013 at 11:05AM
otnorot(z5ont)

How to remove the stalk nice and clean.
Get your hand right around the bottom of the stalk now bend it to the ground.Did it snap off? If not bent it the opposite way.This is how the pros do it.
Bill.

Bookmark   July 2, 2013 at 6:07PM
More Discussions
Moving iris
I have a large bed of Iris that I inherited. I have...
Beth1234
Irises
I live in Virginia and was told I need to cut back...
maxymom
reblooming irir
Thought I would post a few of my rebloomers. I was...
Nancy zone 6
Dried out Rhizomes - Iris
I have a few Iris that are dried out from storing them...
pinkkpearls
Do you mulch Iris Bed for winter?
I replanted all my iris after the beard iris borer...
redsun9
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™