400 Watt Metal Halide for Indoor Basil

Hydro_Rocket(CT)January 6, 2005

Hi, IÂd like the forums opinion on using lights to start basil indoors (In NFT, hydro system), and then relocate to an outside greenhouse to be cut every 10-to-12 days (About 3-to-4 cuts, then replaced with a new starter)

Would running the lights 24/7, and then placing plants in natural day light hours 'trigger' the plants to flower?

Please, feel free to opine!

Thank you,

Joe

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gawdly

I think MH lighting for herbs is a little overkill. It can be done cheaper and easier with fluorescent lighting-but if MH is what you desire, go for it! As for the photoperiod, I'd say like most plants, give it 16 hours or less. AFAIK, all plants need some "sleep".

Sam

Bookmark   January 6, 2005 at 9:34AM
dave_jam79(Ont, Canada)

hey hydro_rocket, basil will grow very well and very quickly under a MH light! if you leave it under 24 hours light it will flower automatically once it is mature..

to keep the plants growing bigger (vegetating) just pluck any buds off that you see before they become flowers.

if you take cuttings of the mature basil and root them they will start flowering almost immediately under 24 hrs light

Bookmark   January 22, 2005 at 1:14PM
nygardener(z6 New York)

When I tried this, they grew fine but tasted off. You might need to experiment with the temperature or fertilizer mix to get it right.

Bookmark   January 22, 2005 at 5:28PM
Bob_Piper(NE Oklahoma)

I have started thousands of basil plants from seed in a heated greenhouse using no other light than that provided by nature. If you are starting yours indoors and not in a g-house fluorescent lights should be used. After germination they certainly would profit from additional light in the Winter months when the sun is stingy but they will do fine without it. More light would speed up the maturation process no doubt.
If you want to grow mature basil in g-house during months of low light then you will have to use supplemental lighting and I would recommend sodium because they are more cost efficient. I have MH and they do make the old electric meter spin!
I purchased a helpful book this past Fall entitled..GROWING AND SELLING FRESH-CUT HERBS, Second Edition by Sandie Shores. She grows a lot basil and other herbs under cover and under lights on a commercial basis.

Bob

Bookmark   January 23, 2005 at 11:51AM
Hydro_Rocket(CT)

Thank you all for your posts! My main concern is the actual lighting change in hours going from 24/7 to natural hours; IÂm thinking that might "trigger" them into premature flowering. What do you think?

Thanks again,
Joe

Bookmark   January 30, 2005 at 11:00AM
Seven_Six_Two

Basil flowers most aggressively at 18/6, and gives the highest yield at 24/0.
DOI: 10.1007/BF02904661

Power requirements(watts) for a light fixture determine how fast your hydro meter spins, not the bulb type. A 400w HPS will spin your meter at the same speed as a 400w MH. The Latter has PAR at different wavelengths than the HPS, and being more similar to early summer sun, conventional wisdom is that it's better for vegetative growth, and HPS for flowering.
I've grown sweet basil with HPS and it works just fine.

Here is a link that might be useful: Peer reviewed article

Bookmark   February 9, 2013 at 9:34PM
More Discussions
growing tomatoes indoors; what lights to use? help!
I basically want to grow tomatoes, peppers, and eggplants,...
kawaiineko_gardener
HELP!..Possible Indoor Pepper growing probz!
I have a few questions regarding my pepper plants at...
Bobby Cooper
Please help. Plant hanging after transplant
Hi. I need urgent help. My small chili mini container...
gustaph
heat mats and growing plants
Is there a reason must you move plants off of the heat...
dowlinggram
1000 watts surrounded by 320 plants! Shoe organizers are back!
Some of you may remember my shoe organizer grows. Im...
MisterK
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™