Trialing pole beans (snaps, maybe shelling)...

gryffin(5A)February 20, 2011

Hi all:

I'd like to trial pole beans in my Zone 5a garden this year. In the past, I've grown bush beans- but it seems like I can get more output in less space. My garden is mostly containers, with one small raised bed (about 16 sq ft).

I've already ordered Gold of Bacau for a wax and Masai (bush variety) for a fine filet bean. I'd like to choose some other types to round out by selections. I'm not even sure whether I prefer "beany" or "sweet". I'm also interested in being able to try some shelling beans to see if I enjoy the taste.

Some of the varieties I'm considering are:

Garafal Oro (only seed source I can find is SSE Yearbook, and I don't think I will grow enough to relist them)

Blue Marbutt (Sandhill)

Jeminez (Sandhill)

Emerite (Pinetree)

Grandma Roberts Purple Pole (Sandhill)

Uncle Steve's Italian (Sandhill)

Any recommendations or other suggestions (and seed sources)? I plan to freeze a lot of the snaps as the Masai don't freeze well, so they'll all need to be eaten fresh.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada

Don't know if it's the same bean, Seeds from Italy has Garrafal (two r's) Oro listed.

Annette

Bookmark   February 20, 2011 at 7:05PM
gryffin(5A)

I saw that one and I'm not sure if they are the same either. In the SSE yearbook, both Garrafal Oro and Garafal Oro are listed, but the former is described as having black seed and the latter as having pink seed. I think I am looking for the pink seeded one.

Bookmark   February 20, 2011 at 7:34PM
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

I like yard long beans from China and rattlesake beans. Both are good for heat resistance. Important here in Texas.

Bookmark   February 21, 2011 at 1:18AM
More Discussions
Germination Test #1 Chinese Long Green long bean
My family has grown this variety of long bean since...
nightbloomincereus 7A noVA
Black spots on my string beans
For the past 3 years my beans will look beautiful and...
smokey28777
if you don't like getting emails every time someone replies...
Click on "Your Houzz", Edit Profile, Advanced...
fusion_power
Purple king beans
Hi I've grown runner beans before and found they do...
chloe456
Jeminez
I just received some Jeminez seeds from Sand Hill....
shuffles_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™