Growing Bush Beans in Gallon Pots

crnagora95(9)February 23, 2012

I recently got a greenhouse, and have been wanting to use it to grow stuff so I can have produce earlier. It's still too cold here in Almaden for beans, but the green house is nice and warm. Has anyone grown bush beans in gallon sized pots before? I have a ton of them so I'd like to use them. Are beans productive in pots? I wanted to post here instead of Googling it, you can't find too many personal opinions on the Web, just people giving secondhand advice. Thanks!

*I was thinking of growing 'Thibodeau de Comte', an early bush bean from Quebec. Heritage Harvest says they start producing at 45 days!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
drloyd

The closest that I have come to this is growing the half-runner Bert Goodwin in a self watering container in a greenhouse. The soil was about 6-7 inches deep. The vines grew to about 5 feet, longer and earlier than outdoors. - Dick

Bookmark   February 25, 2012 at 9:01AM
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada

The only beans I've grown in one gallon pots in the greenhouse were two little rice beans. One plant per pot, they actually did quite well. I wanted to compare the differences between the two varieties.
I grew Comtesse de Chambord in hanging baskets with pretty good results, this year I'm going to plant a row of them in a raised bed.
I've also grown a few bush varieties in 5 gal tubs, just to see what they're like. All beans grown in containers have been in Sunshine Mix #4.

Annette

Bookmark   February 25, 2012 at 10:55AM
bcskye

Check the Container Gardening Forum. I'm pretty sure they have grown beans in pots. Seems like I remember someone growing some bush green beans in five gallon bucket. It also seems like someone grew two bush beans in an eighteen or twenty gallon tub.

Bookmark   February 26, 2012 at 9:39PM
jolj(7b/8a)

Most gallon pots(nursery gallon)are 3 quarts.
I would use gallon milk jugs or 2 gallon pots(6 quarts or so).

Bookmark   February 28, 2012 at 7:19PM
wertach zone 7-B SC

Ran across this, it may be helpful?

http://www.extension.iastate.edu/publications/pm870b.pdf

Here is a link that might be useful: container vegetable gardening

Bookmark   February 29, 2012 at 11:51AM
denninmi(8a)

Well, I think it would work at one or possibly two plants per pot, but they're going to dry out fast and take a lot of attention. Honestly, I think you'd be much better off in much larger containers, so you aren't out there watering twice a day. Just my $0.02 worth.

Bookmark   February 29, 2012 at 2:13PM
crnagora95(9)

Thanks so much for the responses. I planted the beans after Annette talked about her Comtesse de Chambords in pots. I think it's funny how we call those pots gallon pots, but they really aren't. Also, it's still cold, and the sun isn't shining too much, so the pots haven't dried out. The greenhouse also keeps it humid, which might be keeping the soil moist. I will probably be watering a lot when the sun is out longer.

Bookmark   February 29, 2012 at 6:52PM
mommymammal(z5NY)

I don't have a greenhouse but I've grown bush beans (Dragon Tongue--my favorite) in a 5 gallon bucket outside my garage. I put 7 in one pot, I think, with a couple of well-branched twigs inserted for support. They grew like mad, and I got lots of beans, right up until the frost. It sounds crowded, but you can grow 9 bush bean plants per square foot, if you use the square foot method.

Bookmark   March 4, 2012 at 4:50PM
crnagora95(9)

Update: I've got flowers! I planted six of the Thibodeau de Comte bean plants in the "gallon" pots around the 25th of February, and the plants are about 10 inches tall. I'm pretty sure thy are stunted, I feel like they would grow more in the ground. Anyways, The flowers are just about to bloom, and I should have beans within the 45 days that Heritage Harvest said the beans would produce in.

Bookmark   April 12, 2012 at 3:11PM
je_suis_jo(7a)

Last summer I stuck some wax bean seeds into one of those half wine barrel planters and they did great- they were at most 18" high. There were maybe 6 seeds in there? We ate wax beans for weeks.

Bookmark   April 17, 2012 at 8:51PM
More Discussions
if you don't like getting emails every time someone replies...
Click on "Your Houzz", Edit Profile, Advanced...
fusion_power
Japanese Sword Beans
Anyone grow these. Kitizawa seed company offers them....
denninmi
How is the harvest going?
Just wondering how everyone's harvest results have...
deanriowa
Bush hyacinth bean
One of the joys of garden forums is being able to trade...
zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
Jeminez
I just received some Jeminez seeds from Sand Hill....
shuffles_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™