Growing Lentils

deanriowa(4b)February 6, 2012

Any lentil growers here?

I am thinking of buying some from Sandhill Preservation, they other Black Beluga, French Green, and Green. Any recommended one?

Anyone have some growing or harvesting advice?

thanks,

Dean

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chaman(z7MD)

It is easy and simple to grow lentils.Be careful in buying seeds.Buy short season lentil seeds which are sowed in June and will be ready by end of August for harvesting.I believe one of seeds from the group you have mentioned is short season seeds.I had grown lentils few years before.It will grow to a height of 3 to 5 feet and has yellow flora and beans containing 4 seeds.I am posting the pic. of lentil plant from my file.Grow it like any legume plant.

Pic. of lentil plant.

Bookmark   February 6, 2012 at 10:34PM
chaman(z7MD)

Pl. refer to: www.hort.purdue/newcorp/afcm/lentil/html for growing Lentils.

Bookmark   February 6, 2012 at 11:03PM
sharonlerose

I can't imagine you get very many lentils when growing in a home garden. The time and space alone suggests buying organic lentils would be more economical. Unless you are talking about eating them fresh or eating them in the pods . . .

Bookmark   February 10, 2012 at 9:57AM
jimster(z7a MA)

...or just doing it for fun. :-)

Jim

Bookmark   February 12, 2012 at 2:42PM
mommymammal(z5NY)

Chaman, I haven't grown lentils and don't really have the space for them, but that picture is gorgeous--what a handsome plant! I might tuck in a couple just for the flowers!

Bookmark   March 4, 2012 at 5:14PM
LaurieK123(7b Oregon)

I never grew lentals and I wasn't sure they would even grow where I live, so I took a handfull out of a bag I had in my cupboard. I soaked them and planted them, probably around the middle of June.

They came up and became very pretty plants. Mine were much more delicate than bean plants. They grew about a 1 1/2 feet tall and had pretty white flowers.

The seeds seemed true to what I've been eating. One handfull gave about a pound back.

Bookmark   March 4, 2012 at 9:28PM
Jon_dear(4/5)

I do plant them but as a cover crop, with peas and winter rye. I didn't intend on getting any lentils, just hoping for some added nitrogen out of the deal. I grew both peas and lentils from the grocery store.

Bookmark   March 10, 2012 at 8:49AM
pnbrown

I have also sown old lentils as a cover crop in florida. They sprout and grow well is all I can say, and make good little greens for eating.

Bookmark   March 17, 2012 at 7:32AM
chaman(z7MD)

FYI Lentils are perennials in hot weather countries.

Bookmark   March 17, 2012 at 12:05PM
pnbrown

Interesting, Chaman. So are they normally cultivated that way, in permanent beds?

Bookmark   March 17, 2012 at 6:37PM
chaman(z7MD)

Normally not.However depending upon need some people do.The reason could be it will occupy the large chunk of land which may be needed for other crops.I have seen the pics. of Lentils as the hedge.I have seen some farmers planting Lentils in wider rows ( about 60 years ago) and trimming the shruby plants by the end of summer to plant the monsoon crops like Millet etc. between rows.Again by the end of monsoon Millets etc. will be harvested giving room for Lentils to grow.Things have changed by now and I have know idea what is going on now.

Bookmark   March 18, 2012 at 9:53PM
pnbrown

Lentils and millet would be a great rotation for my florida gardens, I think.

Bookmark   March 19, 2012 at 7:48AM
chaman(z7MD)

Yes.Lentils and millet or Lentils and corn will do good as rotation planting.Lentils (legumes) are N (Nitrogen) fixers where as Millet and Corn etc. are N consumers so the rotation will help the soil with even distribution of N.

Bookmark   March 21, 2012 at 6:29AM
jchen

Are Lentil leaves/stalks edible? Can they be cooked and eaten like pea shoots/tendrils?

Bookmark   March 31, 2012 at 8:14PM
pnbrown

I ate the young lentil greens.

Bookmark   April 3, 2012 at 8:21AM
More Discussions
A roll call, who is still here and staying after the "upgrade"?
Harry are you still here? I hope so! You have always...
wertach zone 7-B SC
Interesting threads...
Searching for past posts isn't that easy, at least...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
Gialet della Val Belluna Bean
Has anyone grown this, or know anything about it? I...
rosieo
Shelly Beans
I was just discussing an heirloom bean, "Ma Williams",...
zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
Bush hyacinth bean
One of the joys of garden forums is being able to trade...
zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™