Growing Freesia in MS

MichelleMartin(8Mississippi)September 3, 2006

Hi all, I'm wondering if anyone has had any luck growing freesia in MS. I bought some last summer and nothing happened. Through the winter, nothing happened. And right now, they are growing their long leaves. No blooms yet, and I don't really know what to expect from them. Will they bloom right now? I read that they are supposed to bloom early summer, well, this is the last of summer, and I'm confused,lol. Any tips or advice someone could give to me? I appreciate the help!!

Shell

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greenelbows1(z9--so LA)

Mine aren't growing leaves yet. I think I read somewhere they are winter-bloomers here-- at least the ones most of us think of when we think of freesias. There is a freesia that does really well here, that used to be Anomatheca. Freesia's an easier name! It blooms for a really long time in late winter and early spring. I just planted the more usual freesias last fall, I think, and they bloomed nicely last winter, and went dormant, and that's all I know!

Bookmark   September 4, 2006 at 1:12AM
MichelleMartin(8Mississippi)

LOL, greenelbows, thanks so much for the reply and info! I'll look up some more info in google and see what I come up with.That's good to know that maybe these I have will bloom this winter/spring, that's neat! I just didn't know what to expect form these being my first ones. I'll also look up that Anomatheca...yes, Freesie is MUCH easier to say, lol!

Bookmark   September 4, 2006 at 10:17PM
launa06

I bought some bulbs two years ago from Lowes. I planted them in pots because I could't figure out where to put them. THe result? they have done well. Mine have bloomed around Feb - Mar while its still cool. Currently, they are sprouting new greenery although I don't remember ever having flowers in the fall. They seem to be a pretty hardy plant as they were in my garage during Katrina and were submerged in salt water BUT they still came back with flying colors-- one of the few plants that did!!!!

Bookmark   September 30, 2006 at 12:17PM
amaryllis6(z9La)

I grow them here on the coast of Louisiana. You have to plant them now and they will bloom Feb.-May. When you see them at walmart or lowes its time to plant them. They don't all return the next year , maybe one-third do ,so I plant some every fall. Love them.

Bookmark   November 6, 2006 at 3:02PM
More Discussions
Any awesome nurseries near New Orleans???
In about a week, I will be going to New Orleans. Even...
LullabyF360
Planting a Live Oak
Hi... I'm new to the forum, and I hope you welcome...
nolawed
Full Sun Shrubs
I have tried two years in a row to get some shrubs...
daviddsims
Anyone grow Almonds or English Walnuts?
I am near Baton Rouge, and thinking of planting some...
mmckey2
Was this past winter harsh in Miss/ Louisiana?
You guys are about as southern as possible, but did...
poaky1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™