Feed the hummingbirds!!

mrskjun(9)September 11, 2005

Not just people and pets that are displaced from the storm. Hummingbirds usually build thier nests near water. I have two feeders out now and the hummers are fighting one another like crazy being territorial. I'm going to hang another this afternoon. I don't think I have ever had so many hummingbirds. So if you live in the anywhere surrounding the affected areas, hang some feeders.

Betty

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
HanArt(8b)

Betty, the southern migration is at its peak, that's why you're seeing so many birds.

Oh, and in case you don't keep your feeders up year round, give it a try this year. South Louisiana hosts many hummers from the northwest in the fall through spring.

Bookmark   September 11, 2005 at 6:28PM
mrskjun(9)

It is true about migration, but nothing like this. This phenom started after Katrina. I always have feeders out. Unless you saw this you couldn't believe the numbers.

Betty

Bookmark   September 12, 2005 at 5:17AM
wildflower(z7b)

Betty, my relatives in Biloxi have put up their 4 hummingbird feeders and said they've never seen so many before either.

They said that in their area there are no flowers left on any plants, so all the hummers close by must be flocking to their feeders! Post some pics if you can!!

Bookmark   September 12, 2005 at 8:35PM
userjh160(z8LA)

Yes, our I have to constantly refill our feeders, alothough I only have 2 -- it doesnt last very long. My grandmother just lives down the road and this past Wed. there were about 8-10 birds sharing a feeder, just swarming around it, I wish I had my camera then -- what a beautiful site.

Bookmark   September 18, 2005 at 9:53AM
Kathy547(z8 AR)

We quit filling ours because my elderly neighbor said they'll stay if you continue to feed them & won't migrate like they're supposed too. In the last several weeks, I've noticed the hummers have come back. My husband and I are wondering if we should feed them or not so they'll migrate on schedule. Anyone?

Bookmark   October 3, 2005 at 8:17PM
HanArt(8b)

Hummers follow their own clock. Keep that feeder up year round and you might find that you have winter migrants from the northwest.

Bookmark   October 3, 2005 at 8:37PM
HanArt(8b)

Kathy, here's more info.

Here is a link that might be useful: migration

Bookmark   October 3, 2005 at 8:41PM
sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

Hanart, I liked that article.
I got to thinking that I haven't seen any hummers since Rita hit. I had been seeing some before the hurricane. I wonder if they will return..They must of known and left?
I know my own birds were going nuts and right before Katrina and again ,a day before Rita, my yellow nape amazon did a strange thing- he made a tent out of his newspaper from the bottom of his cage (draped it across the perch) and hid inside of it!! I had never seen him do that before or since lol. Birds are smart.
~SJN

Bookmark   October 8, 2005 at 9:12PM
More Discussions
ID'ing Lawn weeds
Wasn't sure if this were better posted in Louisiana/Missisppi...
gooup
Lake Charles fruit/citrus trees
Hi all, I'm in Lake Charles (zone 9). I am in the process...
rockydog101
When to seed new lawn with Centipede?
We had our new house lot graded with fresh dirt in...
skb3_br
looking for local source of native azaleas
Hi, Does anyone know of any sources for native azaleas...
kchd
Ligularia
I live in North Louisiana (zone 8a). I would like to...
savannaht
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™