Tallest Iris Ever!!!!!!!

timberohio(6)June 7, 2008

Hi all,

My Spuria has finally bloomed. I have 3 stalks currently blooming , But one has way out grew all the others.

This is a picture of it. My daughter (not real thrilled I asked her to stand next to them) is 5ft tall. It was the same size as her last week. As you can see it really shot up in a weeks time.

and here is a close up of the bloom.

I know this isn't as popular of an iris as the TB's, but it is my favorite. There will be about 3 to 4 more flowers that bloom on each stalk.

Thanks for looking

Andrea

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
berrytea4me(Z5 CO)

How impressive!

I know a lot of hybridizers for most plants work toward smaller plants for the garden but I'm interested in very tall iris and daylilies that can be used at the very back of a border.

I know a few contrarians are working on that goal for daylilies but would like to know if any irisareans are working toward talls.

Bookmark   June 7, 2008 at 4:50PM
iris_gal(z9 CA)

I love the spurias. Glad to see they are alive and well in Ohio.

Bookmark   June 7, 2008 at 5:32PM
jwiist

Hi,
Beautiful flower. What is it name? Do you fertilize the spurias. I have some but they don't really bloom all that much.

Jwiist

Bookmark   June 7, 2008 at 10:08PM
alisande(Zone 4b)

The flower's cute but I really love your daughter's hair!

Bookmark   June 7, 2008 at 11:06PM
timberohio(6)

Berrytea I hope to get a few more of the taller spurias from Commanche Acres Irises this year, Different colors of course and hopefully in a few years be hybridizing to see what I can come up with.

Jwist be patient. I've had my spuria about 7 years. They were given to me and I had no idea what they were other than they looked like an iris. The 4th year of seeing 5 foot flags and no blooms I was ready to compost them. Well I got busy that 4th year and didn't get them dug up and then one day I was surprised with a beautiful bloom and I've been hooked ever since.

I don't do anything special for them. Other than weed around them and water them occasionally during really dry spells. Because they are so tall I have them planted behind a 1ft rock wall that is the back of one of my flower beds that borders our woods. It is also at the base of a hill so the irises get natural mulch from the trees in the winter. Every spring I have to remove about a foot of leaves that collect on top of them. Not sure if the decaying leaves are fertilizing them or not but they never bloomed for me until I move them to this spot.

Iris gal I'm glad there is someone else that love spuria. Was beginning to think I was the only one.

I love my daughter's hair also Alisande and she keeps wanting me to let her dye it. She's only 13, I tell her when she is 18 and moved out she can dye it what ever she wants. lol

Bookmark   June 8, 2008 at 6:47AM
More Discussions
Seedling
Here is photo of an SDB I have been looking at out...
criris_z8
reblooming irir
Thought I would post a few of my rebloomers. I was...
Nancy zone 6
Iris douglasiana
I'm looking for sources for this iris that will ship....
herbal
Too many roots!
I had a spot in the yard and grass would not grow....
jim_1 Zone 5B Illinois
Consequences of transplanting in winter/early spring, zone 5
Hello, I have a question about transplanting irises....
kmburton
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™